Building in Yarra

We provide assistance and advice about construction in Yarra.

Where do I start?  

You first need to check if you need a planning permit.  

If you are building, renovating or changing the use of your property, you may need a planning permit, building permit and other permits issued under our local laws or Road Management Act 2004.

What kind of permits do I need? 

There are several steps in the permit process. Learn more about the permit process.  

It is your responsibility to apply for and obtain the required permits prior to starting works. If you need a building permit, you will need to engage a private building surveyor of your choice. 

You can find out more information on the building permit application page.

What are the working times for construction sites?

  • Under local laws, working times for construction sites are 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 3pm Saturday.
  • Where a planning permit has been issued for the proposed works, the Planning Permit conditions will dictate the permitted working hours.
  • No works to be carried out on Good Friday, Anzac Day and Christmas Day.
  • Normal working times apply on public holidays unless the times are restricted in the Planning Permit.
  • For general maintenance work around the home, refer to Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) Residential Noise Regulations.

If you want to make a complaint about construction noise you can do it online and we will investigate.

Essential safety measures

The Victorian Business Authority (VBA) has an essential safety measures guide which defines your responsibilities as an owner of a building (other than a house or outbuilding). Essential safety measures cover various items including fire alarm systems to emergency lifts and exit doors.

The VBA also have a series of safety guides for homeowners. These guides cover a wide range of topics, from termites to smoke alarms.

Visit the VBA website to explore their safety guides.