On a regular basis, we clean and maintain roads, streets, footpaths, laneways, street bins, local parks and reserves and other public spaces.
You can help us maintain Yarra's cleanliness by requesting a cleaning service or reporting a maintenance issue below.
How do I request a street cleaning service?
To request a cleaning service online, choose from the below:
- Dumped rubbish and litter removal in streets, laneways or public spaces (for example: excessive litter or dumped waste)
- Bill poster - to remove bill posters from a private property we require the property owner’s consent.
- Syringe pick up
- Weed removal from streets, gutters or laneways
- Smell from pit or flooded area
- Dead animal removal
- Flooding or blocked street drains
- Overflowing bins
- Commercial waste or hard rubbish in streets, laneways or public spaces
How do I report a maintenance issue?
To report a maintenance issue online, choose from the below:
- Damaged street furniture (objects placed or fixed in the street for public use, for example a broken bench or rubbish bin)
- Damaged or dirty street signs
- Park maintenance (for example: overflowing bins, toilets)
How do I report pollution and littering?
Report to the appropriate authority below:
- Air or water pollution occurring from an industry or business to the EPA Pollution Watch Line
- Litter being thrown from a car to the EPA Litter Report Line
Weed control in Yarra
We use several methods of weed control within Yarra, including:
- Herbicide spray (Glyphosate based)
- Steam technology
- Manual removal
Herbicide spray is used on roads, laneways and parks. We use steam technology in high traffic areas – such as retail strips, child care centres and schools, playgrounds, medical centres and hospitals. For playgrounds, picnic areas and community gardens, we remove weeds manually.
We use Glyphosate sparingly and only where necessary to ensure effective weed control. We find most of Yarra’s invasive plants respond to the minimum concentration. All herbicides used by Council and our contractors are approved by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, and all weed treatments are applied in strict accordance with the product label guidelines.
For more information about our weed control strategy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.