Pets and animals

We encourage everyone in Yarra to be responsible pet owners.

Being a responsible pet owner involves registering, microchipping, desexing and vaccinating your dog or cat, having control of your pet in public and obeying dog on-leash and off-leash areas.

Taking care of our animals in the summer months

Please watch the Just six minutes video to understand the seriousness of leaving animals in a hot car.

If you find a pet left in a hot car, please call Victoria Police on 000. The police are equipped to dispatch officers quickly from the nearest police station, which is critical under these circumstances.

Reporting concerns about animal welfare

We encourage you to report any concerns about animals on a property without adequate water, shelter, food or veterinary treatment to the RSPCA or call 03 9224 2222.

Where can I walk my dog off-leash?

We know how important it is for our dogs to get all the exercise they need.

Visit our parks and gardens directory to check where you can walk your dog off-leash in the City of Yarra. Please put the appropriate filter on when using the search engine.

You can also view the full list of designated reserves.

Pets during fireworks and thunderstorms

Melbourne is known for experiencing thunderstorms throughout the year. There are also certain days during the year that fireworks are used for celebrations. These events have a huge impact on our pets well-being.

Read the Pets during fireworks and thunderstorms information on the Animal Welfare Victoria website to help you take care of your animals during these times. 

Our responsibilities for animal management

Our responsibilities for animal management are outlined:

For more information call Yarra City Council on 03 9205 5555 or email [email protected]