Our social media accounts are a place for us to share news about our programs, services, events and general goings on in and around Yarra.
We’d love to hear from you, so please feel welcome to post your questions, comments and feedback, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Social media monitoring
We monitor our accounts 8:30am–5pm Monday to Friday.
If you would like to raise a matter that’s urgent, we encourage you to contact us by:
- online request
- phone: 03 9205 5555 (same number for outside of work hours if urgent)
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We want our social media pages to be a respectful and safe place for our community to share their thoughts, so please remember to be polite when posting a comment.
In the interests of maintaining an open forum, we would prefer not to delete comments. However, we will delete comments when they:
- contain abusive, demeaning or inappropriate language or remarks that are discriminatory based on race, sex, gender identity, sexuality, religion, age or ability.
- are spam or a direct advertisement for a business or product.
- break the law (including violation of copyright laws) or encourage others to do so.
- incite violence.
- invade an individual’s privacy or identify people in a defamatory, abusive or negative manner (including Yarra Council employees, contractors, volunteers and members of the community).
- encourage the use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs.
- harass or bully.
- are trolling or intend to deliberately disrupt a conversation.
- are false, misleading or deceptive.
- are generally not suited for an audience of all ages.
People who repeatedly breach these guidelines will be blocked. If the breach is considered to be serious, Yarra City Council might choose to block users immediately.
Users demonstrating inauthentic behaviour or identity will be blocked from our pages.
If your account is concealing your identity (no profile picture, following and a pseudonym) it will be blocked from following our pages. Spam accounts are not tolerated and managing them exhaust resourcing.
This policy is intended to create a space where people can trust the people and community they interact with.
Third party content
In light of the High Court defamation decision in September 2021, the Council may, from time to time, remove third party content. Yarra City Council could be held liable for any comments made by third parties on any of our social media accounts.
Comments posted by others do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Yarra City Council.
Visitors to our page should also be familiar with Facebook community guidelines
For more information about these guidelines contact Yarra City Council on 03 9205 5555.