Place of Public Entertainment (POPE)

A Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) is often required for events that need to temporarily occupy a building or public space or conduct a street party.

These permits have a checklist of requirements that event organisers must meet to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the people attending has been considered.

Under the Building Act, a building surveyor is required to issue an occupancy permit before the event goes ahead. 

How do I apply for a POPE?

Before applying please read our How to submit Place of Public Entertainment guide (PDF 640kB).

Apply online

How do I know if I need a POPE?

Please use these questions to determine which permits you may need.

1.  Is the Building or Place/Venue used or intended to be used for the purpose of Public Entertainment? See Note 1

No -  Occupancy permit/siting approval not required

Yes -  Go to Q2

 2.  Does the Building or Place/Venue have an area greater than 500 square metres?

No - Occupancy Permit not required.  Go to Q7

Yes - Go to Q3

3.  Is the Building or Place/Venue enclosed or substantially enclosed?  See Note 2

No - Go to Q4 

Yes - Go to Q5

4.  Is admission to the Building or Place/Venue gained by payment of money or giving of other consideration?

No - Go to Q7

Yes -  Go to Q5

5.  Is the event organised and controlled by a Community Based Organisation?  See Note 3

No - Application for Occupancy Permit for a Place of Public Entertainment to be made to the Municipal Building Surveyor. See Note 4

Yes - Go to Q6

6.  Does the number of persons attending the community based organisation event exceed 5000 at any one time?

No - Go to Q7

Yes - Application for Occupancy Permit for a Place of Public Entertainment to be made to the Municipal Building Surveyor. See Note 4

7.  Does the proposal include any Prescribed Temporary Structures such as:

    1.  Tents, Marquees or Booths with a floor area greater than 100 square metres.

    2.  Seating stands for more than 20 persons.

    3.  Stages or platforms (including sky borders and sky wings) exceeding 150 square metres floor area.

    4.  Pre-fabricated buildings exceeding 100 square metres

No - Siting Approval not required

Yes -  Occupancy Permits for Prescribed Temporary Structures must be obtained from the Victorian Building Authority. See Note 5


  1. Public Entertainment is defined as an Entertainment or meeting to which admission may ordinarily be gained by members of the Public.
  2. Enclosed or substantially enclosed is considered to be a controlled space (by fencing, structures or natural features) that a reasonable person would see as being an exclusive area.
  3. 'Community Based Organisation' means a body, whether or not a corporate body that: is not established primarily for the purpose of profit or gain; and does not distribute any part of any profit or gain made in the conduct of its activities to any members of the organisation; and operates in a community wholly for: a philanthropic or benevolent purpose, including the promotion of art, culture, science, religion, education or charity; or any sporting or recreational purpose, including the benefiting of any sporting or recreational club or association
  4. Private Building Surveyors may only issue a Permit for a Place of Public Entertainment where a related Building Permit is required for Building Works.
  5. Siting of any prescribed temporary structures must be approved by the Municipal Building Surveyor.  Erection of Prescribed Temporary Structures must be carried out by the Relevant Registered Building Practitioners. Certificate of Compliance-Inspection must be issued by Relevant Building Practitioners when structures erected.  Certificate of Compliance-Inspection and Occupancy Certificate to be displayed on the structure.