Support for carers
We care about your wellbeing and the wellbeing of those you care for, and we aim to assist you and your household to maintain your preferred lifestyle and independence.
Please feel confident that we are only a phone call away for practical support, guidance and services such as respite care.
Disability Advisory Committee
The Disability Advisory Committee provides advice and support to us on how we can improve the wellbeing of people with disability and their carers.
Would you like to attend one of our meetings?
We provide better access and services for people with disability to attend the various council and committee public meetings.
Access and Inclusion Plan
Our Access and Inclusion Plan 2014 – 2017 outlines our commitment to creating an inclusive community where people with a disability can participate fully in the public, economic and cultural life in Yarra.
The plan was developed in consultation with our Disability Advisory Committee.
The plan is based on the following principles:
- Skills, experience and needs of all community members are valued and generate a stronger and resilient community
- Disability access and inclusion are given mainstream focus in cross-Council planning, processes and practices
- Excellence in access and inclusion expands beyond minimum requirements
- Equitable and accessible opportunities are based on the concept of enablement and realisation of potential
The plan focuses on community participation, employment, information and communication, the built environment and awareness-raising, with the aim to:
- Provide equitable and accessible opportunities for people with disability to engage in cultural and social activities and events and in civic and community decision making
- Create inclusive work culture by meeting the needs of applicants with disability
- Improve accessibility to public buildings, spaces and facilities
- Create and promote resources, information and communication that meet the needs of people with disability
- Increase staff and community awareness regarding practices that are inclusive of people with disability
Alternative versions of the Access and Inclusion Plan include:
To request a hard-copy of the document in any of the alternative versions please contact Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 and ask for our Access and Inclusion Officer.
MetroAccess is a Victorian Government initiative that aims to make communities more welcoming and inclusive to people with disability. Services offered through MetroAccess complement mainstream services including health, education and transport.
MetroAccess specifically supports people with disability who live in metropolitan Melbourne. Our approach recognises that the issues you experience in the city are different to those experienced in regional and rural environments.
How does MetroAccess work?
MetroAccess provides a comprehensive response to the key issues experienced by people with disability in local communities.
Key programs delivered by Yarra’s MetroAccess program include:
Library facilities available
Collingwood library has a TTY machine available if you are hearing impaired. There is JAWS (screen reading software) and MAGic (screen enlarging software) available for blind and vision impaired residents.
National Relay Service
TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 9205 5555.
Speak & Listen users (speech-to-speech relay) phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 9205 5555.
Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service via www.relayservice.com.au and then ask for 9205 5555.
For further information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email email@example.com