Stormwater drains and legal point of discharge

Water from a roof, or hard surfaces such as driveways, roads or footpaths, flows into stormwater drains. This stormwater drains into our waterways and then, ultimately, to Port Phillip Bay.

Which drains am I responsible for?

Drains, pipes and hard surface run-off such as driveways must be controlled within the property boundary that is stormwater runoff must be collected within the private property and then drained to the legal point of discharge (LPD)

You are responsible for your drains up to the point of connection (the legal point of discharge) to our underground drainage system, kerb and channel or a constructed laneway.  

What is the legal point of discharge?

The legal point of discharge is a point specified by council where storm water from a property must be discharged. Council’s primary nominated point of discharge is to the nearest pit or drain of adequate depth and capacity, or alternatively specified by a council officer.

You can apply for a legal point of discharge report from council, which provides the location to which the stormwater drainage discharge from your land must be directed. 

Why do I need a legal point of discharge? 

Your building surveyor must consider this report before issuing a building permit. Council does not keep records of stormwater pipes around homes. This report does not provide  a plan of any private storm water drains. 

How do I apply?

  1. Download the Report and Consent application form (PDF 328 kB).
  2. Complete Section 1, Section 2, Section 2.6 and Section 3.
  3. Save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
  4. Submit your application online.
  5. A prompt to make payment will appear. Payment can be made online. Details regarding making payment can be found in the report and consent user guide. The application fee is $149.40.

You'll receive an application number after payment and your application will be sent for processing. 

Read our Report and Consent application user guide (PDF 2.4 MB) for more information about submitting an online application, including creating a new login, resetting your password and payments.

What is the application process and timeframes? 

We process the request within 10 to 15 business days. This may take longer if we need further information after this assessment. A council officer will forward a written request if this is the case. Find out more about different application stages and time frames

Contact us

You can contact our drainage engineers using this online request form or by ringing us on 9205 5555. 

Frequently asked questions