What we manage
- 260 kilometres of road pavement
- 491 kilometres of footpaths
- 491 kilometres of kerb and channel
- 170 kilometres of storm water pipes
- 85 kilometres of laneways
How we manage and maintain our roads
We have developed a plan for managing, maintaining and improving Yarra's local road networks.
Our road management plan sets goals and objectives to create a sustainable, safe and efficient transport system in partnership with the community.
The purpose of the road management plan is to document the standards and priorities for inspection, maintenance and repairs of the road network.
The plan outlines our responsibilities to ensure that roads and footpath are safe.
The road management plan includes:
- management system put in place by us to inspect, maintain and repair the public roads for which it is responsible
- description of those assets on public roads for which we are responsible
- standard, or target condition, at which those assets will be maintained by us
- a hierarchy for roads and footpaths to inform response times and effective maintenance and repair practices
- updating to the road register
When constructing and repairing our roads and laneways original materials are used to preserve the heritage look of Yarra. You can find more information about our road materials policy here.
A copy of the Register of Public Roads can be found here.
To view the network of laneways in Yarra, visit Yarra Spatial and select "Laneways" from the Transport menu
Yarra has seen an increase in traffic in recent years, making road congestion one of the top issues affecting our residents.
We undertake a number of projects to improve traffic conditions on local streets and to improve safety and amenity of roads for all road users, including motorists, cyclists, pedestrians and public transport users.
Keeping our roads safe
You can read more about road safety online.
You can see Yarra's standard drawings here.
Heritage street signs
You can find a list of all the heritage street signs here.
Extending the Wellington Street bicycle lanes
We are extending the existing protected bike lanes on Wellington Street in Collingwood to provide a safer and better connected journey for cyclists, as part of Towards Zero. read more about the Wellington Street Bike Lanes extension.