Building permit applications

When do I need a building permit?

You need a building permit for most commercial, industrial and residential developments.

This can include the following, regardless of cost of works:

  • new buildings
  • alterations and additions to current buildings
  • modifications to property drainage
  • pergolas (roofed), verandahs & shade sails
  • decks and balconies
  • change of use of a building (warehouse to dwelling)
  • minor structures (carports, roller doors)
  • outbuildings (garages and sheds)
  • fences and retaining walls
  • demolition of an existing building
  • structural works
  • swimming pool or spa

Further information can be accessed from the Victorian Building Authority.

Contact your private building surveyor if you require any further assistance.

Your draftsperson or architect can assist you with choosing a suitable private building surveyor. Otherwise, you can select a private building surveyor from the Victorian Building Authority website.

Learn more about permits for certain developments

Asset Protection

If you need a building permit, an Asset Protection Permit is required before any works can start on the property.

How much does a building permit cost?

Your permit fee will be determined by the private building surveyor you choose.
You will be charged a statutory lodgement fee for each new building permit document submitted to Council regardless of cost of works.
You will be charged a State Government Levy if the works cost most than $10,000.

Private building surveyor – how can I lodge my building works notification - Section 80 notification?

All Section 80 notifications must be lodged online using your existing account details.  

Procedures to assist lodge your application can be found here.

After you submit your notification you will receive automatic confirmation.

If you do not have an account with us, contact us on 03 9205 5555 to set up your new account.