Planning applications

Generally, you need a planning permit when you are: changing the use of your property (eg. shop to office, café to retail) additions to residential properties commercial or industrial development applying for a liquor licence constructing or displaying signage waiver of car parking (associated with the increased floor space of commercial/industrial areas) demolition of a building (particularly within heritage overlay).

Two-thirds of Yarra is covered by a heritage overlay in which a planning permit is required for all works and demolition (including painting and fences).

The planning permit system helps manage the development of our city. It makes sure developments are suitable for its surroundings, considers possible environmental and heritage impacts.

Overview of the planning application process