Every dog or cat over the age of 3 months must be registered with us. Registering your pet makes it easier for your animal to be returned to you if it ever gets lost.
Cat and dog registration in Yarra
- Cats must be microchipped and desexed before registration.
- Dogs must be microchipped.
- It is not compulsory to have your dog desexed before registration. You will charged a higher fee if your dog is not desexed.
- Registration must be renewed before 10 April each year. An infringement may be issued for animals not renewed before 10 April each year.
- If you are registering your pet after 10 October and before 10 February a 50% reduction (pro-rata) applies to animal registration fees.
- You need to provide proof of microchipping and dexexing. You need a certificate from your vet or breeder showing the microchip number.
What are the registration fees for 2018/2019?
- Standard fee $36.00 (cat is microchipped and desexed)
- Concessional fee $13.00 (cat is microchipped and desexed)
- Standard maximum fee (dog is not desexed) $194.00
- Standard reduced fee (dog is microchipped and desexed) $62.00
- Concessional maximum fee (dog is not desexed) $97.00
- Concessional reduced fee (dog is microchipped and desexed) $18.00
- Declared menacing, dangerous & restricted breed dogs - $330.00 (Pro-rata is not applicable)
Please note that after 01/10/2018 no refunds can be provided for deceased pets or pets that have moved outside of the municipality as per Council’s adopted budget.
Discounts for concession card holders
To be eligible for a discount you must hold a current Pension Concession Card (Centrelink or Veteran’s Affairs) or Department of Veteran Affairs Gold Card specifying TPI or War Widow.
Discounts do not apply for Health Care Card holders.
Registering your pet for the first time
To register your pet for the first time you need to follow these 3 easy steps.
Step 1: Download and complete an application for new registration of cats and dogs – year ending 10 April 2019.
Step 2: Attach proof of the following for your cat or dog:
- concession (if applicable).
Step 3: Submit your application in 2 ways:
- mail: Yarra City Council, PO Box 168 Richmond VIC 3121 with your cheque or money order
- in person at a Yarra City Council contact centre.
Online payments are not available. Once your pet is registered you can renew your registration online.
Renewing your pet’s registration
Each year in March you will be sent a renewal notice for your pet’s registration. An infringement may be issued for animals not renewed before 10 April each year.You can pay your pet’s registration renewal by any of the following:
- online by credit card
- calling us on 1300 792 772 (payment via MasterCard or Visa)
- sending a cheque or money order payable to Yarra City Council to PO Box 168 Richmond VIC 3121
- in person by visiting a Yarra City Council contact centre.
Lifetime registration tags
We issue a lifetime registration tags when you first register your pet. While registration must be renewed each year, the tags do not need to be replaced unless lost or stolen.
Registration tags for new pets are issued on the spot if you make the payment in person at Yarra City Council contact centre. If the payment has been sent by mail or online (for renewals only), we will send you the registration tag in the post.
Your pet must wear its registration tag at all times when it is outside your property.
Request a replacement for a lost cat or dog tag
To replace a lost cat or dog tag, you need to pay a $5 fee (in person, by post or by credit card over the phone).
You also need to provide the following information:
- your name, property address and contact phone number
- your animal’s name or animal identification number (if known).
If you request a new tag in person at Yarra City Council contact centre we will provide the new tag immediately.
If you post the request with a cheque for $5 or make payment by credit card over the phone we will send a new tag in the mail to your address.
If you have a question about animal registration, you can ask us.
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email email@example.com.