Every dog or cat over the age of 3 months must be registered with us.
Registering your pet makes it easier for your animal to be returned to you if it ever gets lost.
- All cats must be microchipped and desexed
- Standard registration fee is $37
- Concession registration fee is $13.50
- All dogs must be microchipped
- It is not compulsory to have your dog desexed, however you will charged a higher fee to register a non-desexed dog
- Standard registration fee (dog is not desexed) $198
- Standard registration fee (dog is desexed) $63.80
- Concession registration fee (dog is not desexed) $99
- Concession registration fee (dog is desexed) $18.50
- Registration fee for menacing, dangerous and restricted breed dog is $337.50 (Pro-rata is not applicable)
Please note that after 01/10/2019 no refunds can be provided for deceased pets or pets that have moved outside of the municipality as per Council’s adopted budget.
To be eligible for a discount you must hold a current Pension Concession Card (Centrelink or Veteran’s Affairs) or Department of Veteran Affairs Gold Card specifying TPI or War Widow.
Discounts do not apply for Health Care Card holders.
Registering your pet for the first time
Step 1: Download and complete an application form
Step 2: Attach proof of the following:
- your pet's microchip number and desexing certificate (this is available from your vet or breeder)
- concession (if applicable)
Step 3: Submit your application:
- mail to Yarra City Council, PO Box 168 Richmond VIC 3121 with your cheque or money order
- in person at a Yarra City Council customer service centre.
Online payments are not available. Once your pet is registered you can renew your registration online.
If you are registering your pet after 10 October and before 1 February, a 50% reduction (pro-rata) applies to the registration fee.
Renewing your pet's registration
In March each year, you will be sent a renewal notice for your pet’s registration. Your pet's registration must be renewed before 10 April each year. You may be issued an infringement notice if your pet's registration has not been renewed.You can pay your pet’s registration renewal:
- calling 1300 792 772
- sending a cheque or money order payable to Yarra City Council to PO Box 168 Richmond VIC 3121
- in person by visiting a Yarra City Council contact centre.
Lifetime registration tags
We give your pet a lifetime registration tag when they are first registered. While registration must be renewed each year, the tags do not need to be replaced unless lost or stolen.
Registration tags for new pets are issued on the spot if you make the payment in person at Yarra City Council contact centre. If the payment has been sent by mail or online (for renewals only), we will send you the registration tag in the post.
Your pet must wear its registration tag at all times when it is outside your property.
Request a replacement tag
To replace your cat or dog's registration tag, you need to pay a $5.20 fee (in person, by post or by credit card over the phone).
You also need to provide the following information:
- your name, property address and contact phone number
- your animal’s name or animal identification number (if known).
If you request a new tag in person at Yarra City Council customer service centre we will provide the new tag immediately.
If you post the request with a cheque for $5.20 or make payment by credit card over the phone we will send a new tag in the mail to your address.
If you have a question about animal registration, you can ask us.
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.