People with Disability Powered Radio panel led by Helen Gwilliam, Liz Wright and Jarrod Marrinon (2016). L to R: Jiselle Hanna, Helen Gwilliam, Liz Wright, Riah Williams, Jarrod Marrinon and Marian McKeown.
We are currently in the process of developing a new Access and Inclusion Strategy 2018 – 2024, which will be adopted late 2018.
Our Access and Inclusion Plan 2014 – 2017 outlines our commitment to creating an inclusive community where people with a disability can participate fully in the public, economic and cultural life in Yarra.
The plan was developed in consultation with our Disability Advisory Committee.
The plan is based on the following principles:
- Skills, experience and needs of all community members are valued and generate a stronger and resilient community
- Disability access and inclusion are given mainstream focus in cross-Council planning, processes and practices
- Excellence in access and inclusion expands beyond minimum requirements
- Equitable and accessible opportunities are based on the concept of enablement and realisation of potential
The plan focuses on community participation, employment, information and communication, the built environment and awareness-raising, with the aim to:
- Provide equitable and accessible opportunities for people with disability to engage in cultural and social activities and events and in civic and community decision making
- Create inclusive work culture by meeting the needs of applicants with disability
- Improve accessibility to public buildings, spaces and facilities
- Create and promote resources, information and communication that meet the needs of people with disability
- Increase staff and community awareness regarding practices that are inclusive of people with disability
Alternative versions of the Access and Inclusion Plan include:
To request a hard-copy of the document in any of the alternative versions please contact Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 and ask for our Access and Inclusion Officer.