We are committed to:
- supporting people with disability to live full and active lives
- ensuring that Yarra is an inclusive and accessible community and is a place where everyone can live well
Our Access and Inclusion Strategy 2018-2024
The strategy will guide our work over the next six years to empower people living with disability (including their families and carers) to live well in Yarra.
- Access and Inclusion Strategy 2018-2024
- Access and Inclusion Strategy 2018-2024 Plain English version
The plan was developed in consultation with the community, Yarra staff and our Disability Advisory Committee.
- Improve accessibility to infrastructure, facilities and amenities
- Promote and encourage mainstream participation, representation and community leadership
- Support employment and career development opportunities
- Create welcoming and inclusive practices and culture
The strategy will be underpinned by three Action plans that each span two years. This allows for some agility in how we respond to the strategy's key themes in a shifting service delivery environment.
There are a number of accessible versions of the strategy available, including:
- Easy English
- Large Print
To request a hard-copy of the document in any of the alternative versions please contact Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 and ask for our Access and Inclusion Officer.
The Disability Royal Commission – important developments
The Royal Commission will limit public access to hearings due to the COVID-19 pandemic, subject to ongoing review.
This decision is based on information available from the Australian Government. A live webcast of the hearing will be available. Melbourne Hearing 4 will inquire into how mental health, oral health and allied health care could be improved Hearings and workshops
The latest issues paper developed by the Commission focuses on experiences of First Nations people with disability. The paper can be found on the Commission's website. If you are interested in the Commission's work check out the new issue of Connect.
You can sign up to future issues of Connect to keep up to date with any new developments.