Casual and occasional care

Casual and occasional care is flexible childcare for families who need childcare every now and then. It is suitable for families who do not need childcare regularly, but require childcare occasionally. 

We offer casual and occasional care at children’s centres across Yarra. These centres are specifically designed for the supervision, education and care of children. They also offer services like kindergarten, long day care, maternal and child health, and parent information sessions.

The services are also licensed with the Department of Education and Training.

Casual care

We offer five-hour and full day casual care sessions at children's centres across Yarra. 

Name of centre Address Phone
Connie Benn Children's Centre  160 Brunswick St, Fitzroy   03 9426 1500
Gold Street Children's Centre  64 Gold St, Collingwood  03 9205 5576
Keele St Children's Centre  177 Keele St, Collingwood  03 8415 0970
North Carlton Children's Centre  481 Canning St, North Carlton  03 9274 2710
Yarraberg Children's Centre  4 River St, Richmond  03 9428 0707


Session Service times Fee
 Full day  Various – same as long day care service times  $122.10
 5-hour  8.30am to 1.30pm  $58.15
 2.5 hour (Yarraberg only) 

 8.30am to 10.30am
11am to 1.30pm
2.30pm to 5pm


If you are eligible for the Commonwealth Government childcare subsidy, you will not have to pay the full amount per session.

Occasional care 

We offer four, three and two hour occasional care sessions at Connie Benn Early Learning Centre in Fitzroy. The sessions are run by experienced and qualified early childhood educators. The sessions are designed to stimulate the creativity, growth and development of all who attend.

Children can attend a maximum of 8 sessions per month and no more than 3 in a week. 


Session Fee
4-hour session – Full fee $29.35 
 4-hour session – Concession $10.45
3-hour session – Full fee $22
3-hour session – Concession $10.45
2-hour session – Full fee $14.70
2-hour session – Concession $5.25
 7-hour session (pending confirmation) $81.40

How to enrol

You must enrol your child to be eligible for casual or occasional care programs.

Enrolments are now open. You can enrol online using My Family Lounge.

You will need to provide some documents with your application. 

You must provide a copy of your child’s Immunisation Status Certificate when you enrol. 

Depending on your circumstances, you may also need to provide a copy of:  

  • Court Order / Parenting Plan 
  • Medical Management Plan

More information

Read our Family Handbook (749kB PDF) 

If you need any further information about casual or occasional care, please contact us on 9205 5555 or use our online form.