Playgroups are for babies, toddlers and preschool children and their parents, grandparents or carers. They are a place to play, talk and share ideas.
Playgroups usually meet for 2 hours once a week in a range of places, including parks.
Types of playgroups
These are held in Maternal and Child Health Centres following First Time Parent Groups and are open to all families with young babies.
Led by parents, these groups are usually held in Maternal and Child Health Centres and are open to all families with babies and children.
These have a paid facilitator who runs the playgroup and are usually held in Neighbourhood Houses and Community Hubs.
These are available for families who speak Arabic, French, Spanish and Vietnamese.
There are playgroups for families with twins and triplets, children with additional needs, fathers, rainbow families and single parents.
For families interested in nature play there is the Merri Bush Playgroup.
To find out about specific playgroups, contact us.
Benefits of playgroups
- the opportunity to make new friends and share ideas and information
- time to talk about the joys and challenges of parenting
- access to information, resources and support
- a chance to be part of the local community
- time to focus on playing with children
- develop a strong sense of identity
- connect with and contribute to their world
- develop a strong sense of wellbeing
- become confident and involved learners
- be effective communicators
Find a playgroup
Start a playgroup
If you would like to start a playgroup in Yarra contact us for support with:
- Finding a venue
- Promoting your group
- Ideas for activities and excursions
Support for playgroups
Supported playgroups can join the Yarra Service Provider Playgroup Network here. You can contact the network directly via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We meet quarterly to share information and training.
Contact us to find out about upcoming playgroup activity workshops.
For more information about playgroups throughout Victoria visit Playgroup Victoria or call 1800 171 882.