Flu vaccine update - 25 June, 2018
The flu vaccine is in short supply across Australia. We are currently offering flu vaccinations for the following groups only:
• Children aged 6 months to <5 years
• Pregnant women anytime during pregnancy
• Adults aged 65 years and older
Please ensure that you call us on 9205 5555 to confirm availability before arriving at your chosen immunisation session. If you do not fall within the above groups, we recommend that you contact your local GP or chemist to see if they have the vaccine in stock.
Immunisations in Yarra
We hold regular immunisation sessions at different places around the municipality.
Our immunisation services include:
- free immunisation of all National Immunisation Program vaccines
- school-aged immunisations for students in year 7
- school entry certificates
- annual corporate flu program for companies within Yarra
- advice and support for residents with vaccination-related enquiries
- adult immunisations
Immunisation sessions for 2018
We run immunisation sessions across Yarra throughout the year.
Bookings are not required and EFTPOS facilities are available.
Children are eligible for free vaccines, provided they have a Medicare card or are eligible for a Medicare card, and are Australian citizens, have permanent Australian visas or are asylum seekers or refugees.
"No jab no play" policy
Due to the introduction of the "no jab no play" policy there is a free vaccine catch-up program for children up to19 years of age who may have missed any childhood vaccinations.
For more information go to the Department of Health website.
Vaccines available at cost
We administer the following vaccines to adults at the following costs:
- Chicken pox vaccine for $65 per dose
- Boostrix vaccine (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis or whooping cough) for $40 or free for pregnant women and their partners from 28 weeks gestation
- Flu vaccine is available for $15 (available from April to September and free for some groups, see below)
- Hepatitis B vaccine is available for $35 per dose (3-dose course)
There is no cost for some adults to have the following vaccines:
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella). Free doses are available for women planning pregnancy and for women who have recently given birth but have low or negative rubella antibodies
The flu vaccine is free for the following:
- all children aged 6 months to <5 years (Victorian government funded program)
- People aged 5 years and over who have a medical risk factor that increases their risk of complications from influenza
- All Aboriginal people aged 15 years and over
- All pregnant women anytime during pregnancy
- All adults aged 65 years and older
All of the vaccines are administered at our immunisation sessions.
We hold records of vaccines administered by Yarra City Council. Records are not held for vaccinations given by other health providers. You can request your Yarra City Council Immunisation records.
Immunisation history statement
You can obtain a complete immunisation history statement from your myGov account or you can call Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) on 1800 653 809.
Immunisation status certificate
A school entry immunisation status certificate is an up-to-date record of your child's immunisations. It is a legal requirement to provide this on enrolment in primary school in Victoria.
In most cases you will receive this certificate automatically from AIR when your child has received their 4-year-old immunisation. It is mailed to your address that is registered with Medicare.
What if my child was immunised overseas?
You will need to contact us as we will need to sight the immunisation record of your child.
We can advise you of any vaccines that your child may have missed.
We will send the immunisation records to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) who will then issue you a certificate for childcare or school.
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.