We hold regular immunisation sessions at various locations around Yarra.
Our immunisation services include:
- free immunisation of all National Immunisation Program vaccines
- school-aged immunisations for students in year 7 and 10.
- annual corporate flu program for companies within Yarra
- advice and support for residents with vaccination-related enquiries
- adult immunisations
Changes due to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Our immunisation program is continuing to operate, with some additional precautions to make sure everyone remains safe and healthy.
We encourage you to consider vaccinations for yourself and your family, to protect yourself from certain diseases. Please note though there is still currently no vaccine for COVID-19.
Some locations have changed – please download our immunisation schedule for details.
At these sessions, we will be taking extra precautions to protect our community and staff from the spread of the virus. Staff will ensure appropriate social distancing, with a minimum of four square metres per person.
Children, parents and their caregivers who feel unwell or have a temperature should not attend these sessions.
What we are doing to prevent COVID-19 transmission:
- Our immunisation clinics are now in larger venues that enable social distancing. Waiting areas will maintain a minimum of four square meters per person or family. People in line and outside the building will be asked to keep 1.5 metres distance between each other.
- We will have additional staff to make sure no one entering the building is sick or is exhibiting any symptoms.
- Hand sanitiser will be available.
- Only one parent per child will be permitted in the vaccination area.
- We are thoroughly sanitising immunisation areas in between clients.
- All staff will be healthy and will maintain strict hand sanitising procedures between clients.
If you are attending an immunisation session:
- Do not attend the venue if you or any of your family are:
- Feeling unwell (especially with a fever, sore throat, cough)
- Have been a contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- Have returned from overseas within the last 14 days
- Families can come to the clinic together but only one parent per child will be called up to the vaccination area
- If a waiting time of more than 15 minutes occurs, we will give you a time to return.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work to keep the community safe.
Upcoming immunisation sessions
The flu vaccine is now available at our community sessions for all people aged 6 months and over, including people over 65 years.
The 2020 flu vaccine protects against the four circulating flu virus strains. It does not protect against COVID-19. We encourage everyone to get the flu shot as soon as possible this year as getting infected with both flu and COVID-19 at the same time will result in serious illness.
For people aged 65 years and over, we provide the enhanced vaccine (called FLUAD) that is specifically designed to produce a higher immune response for this age group.
Further information about influenza is available on betterhealth.vic.gov.au
Some people are eligible for a free flu vaccine:
- Children aged between 6 months to under 5 years
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people over 6 months of age
- Adults aged 65 years and over
- People over the age of 6 months who have certain medical conditions which increase the risk of influenza disease complications e.g. severe asthma, lung or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes.
- Pregnant women at any stage during pregnancy.
The cost of the flu vaccine is $15 per dose for anyone not eligible for the publicly funded vaccine. We are accepting EFTPOS payments only.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us or call us on 9205 5555.
Children are eligible for free vaccines, provided they have a Medicare card or are eligible for a Medicare card, and are Australian citizens, have permanent Australian visas or are asylum seekers or refugees.
"No jab no play" policy
Due to the introduction of the "no jab no play" policy there is a free vaccine catch-up program for children up to 19 years of age who may have missed any childhood vaccinations.
For more information go to the Department of Health website.
Vaccines available at cost
We administer the following vaccines to adults at the following costs:
- Chicken pox vaccine for $65 per dose
- Boostrix vaccine (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis or whooping cough) for $40 or free for pregnant women and their partners from 20 weeks gestation
- Flu vaccine is available for $15.
- Hepatitis B vaccine is available for $35 per dose (3-dose course)
There is no cost for some adults to have the following vaccines:
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella). Free doses are available for women planning pregnancy and for women who have recently given birth but have low or negative rubella antibodies.
- People born during or since 1966 who have not had two does of MMR vaccine are also eligible to receive the MMR vaccine for free.
We hold records of vaccines administered by Yarra City Council. Records are not held for vaccinations given by other health providers. You can request your Yarra City Council Immunisation records.
Immunisation history statement
You can obtain a complete immunisation history statement from your myGov account or you can call Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) on 1800 653 809.
Immunisation status certificate
A school entry immunisation status certificate is an up-to-date record of your child's immunisations. It is a legal requirement to provide this on enrolment in primary school in Victoria.
In most cases you will receive this certificate automatically from AIR when your child has received their 4-year-old immunisation. It is mailed to your address that is registered with Medicare.
What if my child was immunised overseas?
You will need to contact us as we will need to sight the immunisation record of your child.
We can advise you of any vaccines that your child may have missed.
We will send the immunisation records to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) who will then issue you a certificate for childcare or school.
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.