Safety in our parks and outdoor spaces

The YourGround survey report reveals perceptions of safety in Yarra's open spaces.

Earlier this year, Yarra City Council partnered with gender, design and space specialists, XYX Lab, and digital consultancy, CrowdSpot to better understand perceptions of community safety from women and gender-diverse people when out and about in Yarra’s parks and open spaces.

More than 450 submissions were made about Yarra sites in response to the YourGround survey.

Responses identified lighting, access to footpaths and access to appropriate facilities and infrastructure as vital to perceptions of safety among women and gender diverse people.

Three contributing factors Yarra respondents gave for feeling less safe were:

  1. The anti-social behaviour of others 
  2. Inadequate lighting
  3. Isolated locations

Respondents indicated they were less concerned about safety in Yarra’s parks during the day, when compared to other municipalities. 

Visit the YourGround website to see the interactive map and results. 

What we’re doing 

We want our community to feel safe. We are working on creating inclusive streets, parks, trails and recreational facilities for women, girls and gender-diverse people, to help create a safer environment for our community.  

In addition to our ongoing design and maintenance of open spaces, Council has a number of specific initiatives designed to improve safety in certain areas, including the Safe and Liveable Victoria Street Project.  

For more information about reporting issues related to lighting in public spaces, please see the following pages on our website: 

Reporting safety concerns 

Victoria Police: 

In any situation where your personal safety is threatened, Victoria Police are the responsible authority. There are a range of ways to contact them:  

  • Emergency - Triple Zero (000) 
  • Police, ambulance and fire 
  • Police Assistance Line - 131 444 
  • Call any time to report non-urgent crimes and events 
  • Crime Stoppers - 1800 333 000 
  • Call to anonymously report a crime 

Yarra City Council: 

To make a noise complaint (amplified music in the park) 

  • call us on 9205-5555 (same number for afterhours reporting of hazards) 
  • online request 

To report an overflowing rubbish bin: 

To report inappropriately disposed syringes: 

To report a parking infringement: 

If you see a broken toilet, broken park equipment, someone camping, or any other issues: 

Public Housing Estate grounds: 

If you are concerned about safety in any of Yarra’s public housing estates, you can contact the Local Housing Office: 

  • Richmond: 9429 5174
  • Fitzroy: 9093 5000
  • Collingwood: 9417 5144