What is a construction zone and when do I need a permit?
A construction zone is a council approved area which can be used during construction. This area may involve the use of plant and equipment or may be used for parking of construction vehicles.
The area is permanently allocated and is to be clearly identified using Council approved safety barriers
How do I apply?
Applications are submitted online.
- Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online.
- You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
- You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
- If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. A template to assist with this can be found here.
You must include the following information:
- A plan showing type of protection barriers being used, existing on-street parking arrangements, dimensions and noting all street assets. This includes locations of parking signs, line marking, street trees, vehicle crossing or driveways and property boundaries in relation to the road.
- Photographs of the nearest existing parking signs to the proposed construction-zone areas. Make sure these signs are noted on your plan.
Applications will be assessed on a case by case basis.
How long will the application process take?
If your application is approved, it takes 3-4 weeks for the permit to be issued and signs manufactured.
How much will my permit cost?
- Permit fee - $79.30
- Occupancy fee
- Private single dwelling: $4.80 per square metre per week
- Commercial: $8.75 per square metre per week
- Inspection Fee: $257.50 per week.
- External sign manufacturing - approx $23 to $45 per sign
- Installation of construction zone & sign reinstatement - $370 (1 or 2 signs)
How do I extend my permit?
You must extend your permit prior to the permit expiry date. If the permit expires, the existing parking signs will be reinstated.
You can extend your permit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 9205 5555 and provide the following information:
- permit number
- site address
- number of weeks to be extended
- if there is any changes to the area being occupied
- contact details.
- certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
- other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension dates are not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.