Construction zone

What is a construction zone?

A construction zone is a council approved area which can be used during construction. This area may involve the use of plant and equipment or may be used for parking of construction vehicles. The area is semi-permanent and is to be delineated by using Council approved safety barriers.


Construction zones are considered when there is a requirement for a construction management plan. 


Diligent assessment is required prior to signing off on a construction zone and is vital to:

  • Ensuring commercial optimisation
  • Equitable community access
  • Legislative compliance
  • Proper maintenance of the asset
  • Environmentally responsible practices, across Council’s property portfolio

Applications will be assessed on a case by case basis.

When do I need a permit?

There are different set ups for construction zones to delineate the work area and this will be dependent on the site location.  

The most common set ups include:

  1. Water or concrete barriers.
  2. In ground barriers.
  3. Soft construction zone - utilised during working hours and removed outside of these times. This can be delineated by using removable candlestick bollards

A cross section of the proposed construction zone must be submitted as part of the application. Refer to the cross section example.


In some instances, a concrete pad maybe required to be installed within the construction zone area.  A concrete pad may be installed where there is not enough road space and the surface is uneven for vehicles loading/ unloading sites. This may only be installed if the construction zone area is deemed suitable by Council. Details need to be included on the cross section.

Please note: There is currently a known issue with Chrome that impacts our our online forms. If you upgraded your browser during February to March 2020, then you may experience time-out issues when using our forms. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Opening our online forms for more than 15 minutes may result in a time-out, and losing information entered when you press 'submit'. To ensure a form doesn't time out, please prepare the information you want to send to us offline, then cut and paste your information into the form. 

If you press ‘submit’ and don't receive an acknowledgment email with a reference number, please email

How do I apply?

  1. Download the application form.  Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application.  You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.   
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Submit your application online.
  4. You will receive automatic verification and an application number which must be used for all future correspondence.           
  5. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.                  
  6. If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents.  A template to assist with this can be found here. All stakeholders within 100m must be notified.  All letters must be stamped approved by Council prior to distribution. Please also attach a map for the proposed delivery are of the notification for approval. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.

There are 2 options to satisfy the requirement for the notification letter:

  • Distribute a letter 7 days prior to works; or
  • Distribute a monthly notification letter, followed by a notification letter 2 days prior to works. (Construction Management Sites Only).  Please refer to your Planning Permit or visit the Construction Management Plan page on our website.

You must include the following information with your application:

  • A plan showing type of protection barriers being used, existing on-street parking arrangements, dimensions and noting all street assets. This includes locations of parking signs, line marking, street trees, vehicle crossing or driveways and property boundaries in relation to the road.
  • Photographs of the nearest existing parking signs to the proposed construction-zone areas. Make sure these signs are noted on your plan.
  • A cross section of the proposed construction zone
  • A cross section of the concrete pad (if required)
  • A safe work method statement addressing public safety.
  • A swept path analysis of vehicle egress/ingress to the construction zone (from nearest arterial road).

Applications will be assessed on a case by case basis.

How long will the application process take?

If your application is approved, it takes 3–4 weeks for the permit to be issued and signs manufactured.

How can I request an update of my permit application?

< />You can request an update of your permit application using an online enquiry. A permits officer will respond to your request.


How much will my permit cost?

Permit fees

  • Permit fee: $84.85
  • Occupancy fee
    • Private single dwelling or local shop trader: $5.10 per square metre per week
    • Commercial/Industrial property or two or more units: $9.35 per square metre per week
  • Inspection Fee: $275.30 per week.

Sign fees

  • External sign manufacturing: approx $23 to $60 per sign
  • Installation of construction zone & sign reinstatement: $378.30 (1 or 2 signs)       

Removal of parking sensors

If the works are within the parking bay where sensors are located, the sensors must be removed prior to works. 

View a map of the parking sensor locations. Please note the green indicates the streets where the sensors are installed. 

Download the application form to remove sensors. Once completed, please email to

How do I extend my permit?

You must extend your permit prior to the permit expiry date. If the permit expires, the existing parking signs will be reinstated.

You can extend your permit by emailing or call us on 03 9205 5555 and provide the following information:

  • Permit number
  • Site address
  • Number of weeks to be extended
  • If there is any changes to the area being occupied
  • Contact details.
  • Certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
  • Other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension dates are not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.