Learn how your apartment building or townhouse could benefit from solar power and improved sustainability features.
Unlocking Sustainable Strata
We developed these guides in partnership with Merri-bek City Council and the environmentally sustainable design experts at Hip v Hype, to make it easier to improve sustainability in apartment buildings for the 87.5% of dwellings in Yarra that are medium or high density.
- Unlocking sustainable townhouses (PDF 625kB)
- Unlocking sustainable low-rise apartments (PDF 626kB)
- Unlocking sustainable mid-rise apartments (PDF 790kB)
- Unlocking sustainable high-rise apartments (PDF 1.01MB)
- A guide to electrifying your apartment building or townhouse (PDF 748kB)
Watch this video to get an introduction to Yarra Energy Foundation's Guide to Solar for Apartments and learn more about available options for solar powered apartments and townhouses.
Steps towards solar on your apartment building
- Talk to other owners and your owners' corporation.
- Obtain quotes and consider independent advice.
- Consider energy efficiency at the same time.
- Decide on the best option for your building.
- Owners' corporation approves and solar is installed.
Is solar right for your apartment building?
There are apartment buildings in Yarra and around Melbourne that have successfully installed solar and are enjoying the benefits of clean energy from the sun, and electricity bill savings. Solar on apartments is more complex than for freestanding homes and requires working with your owners’ corporation, other residents, and an experienced solar company.
A solar company with experience installing solar on apartments or an independent advisory service can provide professional advice on the best options for your building. Many options depend on how much roof space is available. For example, you might be able to install a system that powers the common areas, even if there’s not enough roof space to power everyone’s apartment. As a first step, look at your roof or aerial images online for existing structures, such as common rooftop spaces or infrastructure.
Some options for apartments are likely to take several months to a year to implement, but this can be well worth the effort in bill savings and environmental benefits. A committed group of residents can help to keep things moving. Seek out neighbours who can join you in building enthusiasm among the owners’ corporation.
What are the options?
The following are the most common ways for apartments to benefit from solar.