Yarra Moves is our strategy to improve and support the mental and physical health and wellbeing of all people who live, work, learn and play in Yarra.
We want Yarra to be synonymous with active living by:
- increasing the proportion of population that is physically active
- reducing sedentary behaviour
- supporting lifelong healthy habits for optimal health.
At the end of 2021 we asked for your feedback to draft our Action Plan to make Yarra a healthier and more active city.
View Yarra Moves Action Plan
The Yarra Moves Physical Activity Strategy 2021-2031 is a strategic document outlining the objectives, principles, priorities and focus areas for creating change towards active living. This strategy will be used to guide the direction of the Action Plan for the next ten years.
View Yarra Moves Physical Activity Strategy 2021-2031
Physical activity directory
Find all the information you need to get involved in your local sporting club, activities, community groups and much more.
Click the button to see the map legend of the different sports and activities in Yarra.
The importance of being active
Regular physical activity is the second most important factor in promoting good health and preventing chronic disease in Australia behind tobacco control.
The following data from Yarra shows us the need to improve our level of physical activity:
- 50% of adults meet the recommended physical activity guidelines.
- Less than 20% of Year 8 students (13 to 14 years old) meet the recommended physical activity guidelines.
- 40% of adults spend over 7 hours being sedentary each weekday.
- Only 50% of Year 8 students meet the recommendations for avoiding sedentary behaviour.
|Portion of population meeting physical activity guidelines|
|Physical activity levels||Yarra||Victoria|
|Sitting 7+ hours per weekday||40.8%||26.6%|
|Sitting 7+ hours per weekend day||11.3%||14.1%|
Other ways to move in Yarra:
- utilise active transport and find great ways to travel around Yarra.
- explore and uncover Yarra's history by enjoying one of our curated heritage walks.
- connect with your local community and spend time outdoors in nature by joining a community garden.
- become a Yarra "Citizen Scientist" with the City of Yarra's Bio-blitz program and download the iNaturalist app.
- discover recreation and community activities for over 50s.