Where are the recycling drop off points?
The main recycling drop-off centre is located at 168 Roseneath St, Clifton Hill.
Opening hours are:
- Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm
- Saturday and Sunday 9am to 5pm
When you are using the drop-off centre, please be respectful of residents who live in nearby properties by limiting the amount of noise you make.
Who can use the recycling drop off centre?
Please note: The recycling drop-off centre is for the use of Yarra residents only.
You may be asked for identification by the attendants at the recycling centre so please make sure that you have a copy of your rates notice or a driver's licence when attending the recycling centre.
Commercial properties located in Yarra may drop paper and cardboard at the recycling centre.
Cardboard recycling drop off points
Cardboard drop off points are located at:
Burnley Street Depot, 440 Burnley Street, Burnley. Open Monday to Friday 8am to 3pm (cardboard only)
Clifton Hill recycling drop-off centre, 168 Roseneath Street, Clifton-Hill. Opening hours listed above.
What can I recycle at the Roseneath Street drop off point?
The recycling drop off centre only accepts materials for recycling from the list below. If the item is not on the list, it will not be accepted:
- E–waste (desktops, laptops, computer mice, monitors, printers, disk and CD drives and other computer parts)
- Electrical equipment (televisions, stereo equipment, CD players, DVD and VCR recorders)
- Light bulbs
- Paper and cardboard
- Household batteries
- Mobile phones and accessories
- Glass jars and bottles
- Polystyrene (plastic code 6) (Household quantities only)
- Steel and aluminium cans (including aerosol cans)
- Plastics marked with the codes 1 to 7
- Reusable clothing, shoes, leather accessories (Charity bins - please see below for more info)
- X-rays and film (we suggest you remove identifying information first)
- Cameras and photographic equipment
- Smoke detectors (once batteries are removed)
- Plastic bags (and other plastics marked with code 4)
- Printer and toner cartridges
- Bubble wrap (plastic code 4)
- Cling wrap (plastic code 4 - clean only)
- Scrap metals (small items only - no car engines)
Where do I drop off clothes and electronic goods for recycling?
There are colourful bins for clothes, home goods, and small electronic goods like phones and cameras, at:
- IKEA carpark, the yellow level, Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre, Richmond
- IKEA carpark, the top level, Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre, Richmond
- At the corner of Kent and Burnley streets, Richmond
- At Moor Street, Fitzroy
97% of these goods are sent for recycling or re-use.
What do I do with hard waste or green waste?
If you have other materials that you wish to dispose of there are a number of Public Transfer Stations that can be utilised.
Yarra does not have a transfer station but there are some nearby. Please check with each facility for opening times and charges.
Boroondara Transfer Station
648 Riversdale Road, Camberwell
Telephone: 9278 4444
Melway Ref 60 B1
CityWide Waste Transfer Centre
437 Dynon Road, Kensington
Telephone: 9261 5000
Melway Ref 42 G5
Stonnington Waste Transfer Station
32 Weir Street, Glen Iris
Telephone: 8290 1333
Melway Ref 59 F6
Brunswick Waste Transfer
Whelans Transfer Station
Kirkdale Street, Brunswick East
Telephone: 9387 9999
Melway Ref 30 B8
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org