Yarra residents can have two free collections of hard rubbish per household each calendar year.
These are not available to commercial or industrial properties in Yarra.
If you live in an apartment, you should book a hard waste collection through your building manager, property manager or owner’s committee if possible.
Reduce before you book
Try to reduce your hard rubbish by recycling, donating or selling items such as furniture, clothes, toys and homewares.
Watch this video on ways to rethink your hard rubbish and what items can be collected by our hard rubbish collection service.
How to book a hard rubbish collection
You can book a hard waste collection by submitting an online request or calling 03 9205 5555.
We will ask you to provide a list of items for collection at the time of booking.
You’ll receive confirmation with the scheduled date for your collection, within approximately 10 days from your booking request. Please note delays may occur in times of high demand.
When and where to put out your hard rubbish
Place your hard rubbish out the night before your scheduled pickup. It's illegal to place items out more than 24 hours before pickup.
All hard rubbish must be placed for collection on the kerb at the front of your property.
Hard rubbish will only be collected from a laneway behind your property if weekly rubbish and recycling bins are also collected from that laneway.
What hard waste can be collected?
Your hard rubbish collection:
- Can be up to 2 cubic metres
- Items must be no longer than 1.5 metres
- Items must be able to be easily lifted by 1 or 2 people.
- No items can weigh more than 50kg.
Items you can include in your hard rubbish collection:
- Mattresses (limit of 1)
- E-waste (anything with a cord or battery)
- White goods
- Small furniture items and couches
- Hard plastic household items
- Small car parts (limit of 4 car tyres)
- Paint (limit of 5x 20 litre containers) - must be in original tins/containers with lids well secured
- Gas bottles (limit of 1 bottle)
- Bamboo, palm fronds and ivy
What items will not be collected?
Items that cannot be included in your hard rubbish collection:
- Garden waste, large tree stumps, dirt or soil
- Rubble, concrete or stones
- Hazardous material like chemicals or asbestos
- Waste generated from business activities
- Building and renovation materials
- Household rubbish and recycling
- Items that weigh more than 50kg
- 4WD or truck tyres
- Large car parts
What can I do with building/renovation material?
You will need to organise a private waste collection and disposal service independently or through your builder.
What can I do with hazardous waste?
Sustainability Victoria operates the Detox Your Home program to assist with the disposal of household chemicals. You can find out what's accepted as part of the program and where and when collections are taking place.
Still not sure how to dispose of an item?
Check out our A to Z waste and recycling guide to learn how best to dispose of your waste and recycling.