The Connie Benn Centre is an early learning centre and family and children’s hub located in the heart of Fitzroy, catering for children aged 0-12.
Connie Benn Centre was originally established through a partnership between Yarra City Council, the Brotherhood of St Laurence and Lentara Uniting Care. The City of Yarra has assumed management and operational control of the Connie Benn Centre since July 2013.
The Connie Benn Centre aims to build an integrated and inclusive Centre for children 0-12 and their families living in Fitzroy. It has a strong focus on children’s rights, education, health and wellbeing.
- Early Learning Centre with kindergarten program, long day care and occasional care
- Maternal and child health service operating Monday to Friday
- Immunisation sessions
- Community Playgroups
- Story time sessions by Fitzroy Library
The hub is named in honour of Connie (Concetta) Benn, (1926-2011) a social worker whose innovative work with the Brotherhood of St Laurence and government helped families who experienced poverty and disadvantage. Her work in Fitzroy changed the community development and welfare models of social work across the country.
In 1995, she was awarded the Order of Australia, followed by the Centenary Medal in 2003. Connie is also a life member of the Australian Association of Social Workers.
Parent Activity Groups
Learn how to cook foods from different cultures. Fortnightly on a Thursday 1.00pm to 2.30pm.
Learn how to sew, make jewellery and other crafts. Tuesdays 1.00pm to 3.00pm.
Health and Wellbeing
Wellbeing and fitness sessions. Suitable for all fitness levels. Fortnightly on a Monday 2.00pm to 3.00pm.
Call us for more information 9426 1500 or email [email protected].
What other programs and activities happen at the Connie Benn Centre?
The Connie Benn Centre also partners with other organisations to deliver family and health services:
- The Brotherhood of St Laurence provides various programs for children and their parents. To find out more email [email protected].
- Toy Library run by Collingwood Toy Library (Mondays and Wednesdays 9.30am to 12 noon).
- CoHealth children's speech pathology consultations (by appointment only).
- Australian Catholic University (ACU) Speech pathology consultations (by appointment only).
- Fitzroy Legal Service consultations (by appointment only).
Make appointments by phoning the Centre and select 3 from the options, or through email.
Connie Benn Centre meeting rooms
There are meeting spaces available for hire on a regular or casual basis. Access to meeting spaces is prioritised for programs, services and events for children aged 0-12 and their families. A number of affordable, accessible and modern spaces are available for hire.
For all information on our rooms and spaces please visit our Venues and bookings page.
How do I book a meeting room?
- You can book or enquire online.
- Visit, call or email the Centre.
- Email us at [email protected].
- Call us on 03 9426 1500.
- Visit us at 160 Brunswick Street Fitzroy, 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.