If you would like to run a food truck in Yarra, you must follow our guidelines before you start trading.
- Your mobile food truck is not permitted to operate within 100 linear metres of an open food business. The exception is if the mobile food truck's hours of operation are outside the existing trading hours of a nearby food business.
- You must clear any litter from around the mobile food truck site.
- The preparation, handling and serving of food and drinks to your patrons must be conducted in accordance with the requirements of the Food Act 1984 and our public health unit.
- The mobile food truck site cannot be located near areas zoned as residential under the Yarra Planning Scheme.
- You must submit a mobile food truck application prior to operating your business.
Download and read the mobile food vehicle guidelines
Complete the Application for Mobile Food Vendor
One of our officers will inspect the site and make sure that you have met all the guidelines.
If your nominated site is approved, we may need to order and install parking signage to show a mobile food truck is trading at the site before you can begin operating. The application assessment could take up to 6 weeks.
Regular rate: $2,578 (GST free)
Concession rate: $1,829 (GST free)
Small private events permit 1 day or less: $103 (GST free)
Mobile food van (prescribed event - multi maximum 5): $338.00 (GST free)
Mobile food van (prescribed event) each additional food van/stall over 5: $338.00 (GST free)
If you would like to operate your mobile food truck in a Yarra park, road or reserve during a event or festival, you need to apply for a temporary public space permit.
One of our officers will visit your mobile food vehicle business to ensure you are operating according to the mobile food truck guidelines.
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.