When do I need a permit?
If you are placing plant and equipment such as scissor lifts, excavator or concrete pumps on our land you will need a road/ footpath occupation permit.
How do I apply?
- Download the Application Form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Submit your application online.
- You'll receive automatic confirmation and an application number which must be used for all future correspondence.
- You'll be notified once an assessment has been completed.
- If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. You can download a Road Closure Notification Template to assist you. All stakeholders within 100m must be notified. Please also attach a map for the proposed delivery are of the notification for approval. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.
There are 2 options to satisfy the requirement for the notification letter:
- Distribute a letter 7 days prior to works; or
- Distribute a monthly notification letter, followed by a notification letter 2 days prior to works. (Construction Management Sites Only). Please refer to your Planning Permit or visit theConstruction Management Plan page on our website for further information.
How long will my application take to process?
Initial assessment of your application can take up to 7 working days. A permit cannot be issued until all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.
How can I request an update of my permit application?
You can request an update of your permit application using an online enquiry. A permits officer will respond to your request.
Please note initial assessment of your application can take up to 7 working days.
A fast track assessment option is now available
On payment of a non refundable fast track fee of $165.00 permit applications for works due to commence within 7 days will be assessed as a priority.
This initial assessment may result in the request for further information which may delay the processing time.
- Submit a completed online application.
- Outline your request to fast track the assessment in the ‘application description’ section.
- Submit at least 2 full business days before works commencing.
Your application will be assessed as a priority.
How much does it cost?
The permit and inspection fees for plant and equipment is charged per day. City of Yarra’s authorised officers will inspect all permits to ensure works are being conducted safely and in compliance with City of Yarra’s General Local Law, the approved permit and associated Traffic Management Plan.
Works to existing residential properties/local shop trader (small business)
- Permit fee: $174.70 per day
- Inspection fee: $165.90 per day
Commercial/Industrial properties or new residential build
Permit fee - no road closure
- Local road/footpath occupation: $295.90 per day
Permit fee - road closure
- Local road - full road closure: $449.25 per day
- Inspection fee: $295.90 per day
Parking Fees may apply if the area you are requesting is a metered parking bay.
- Occupation of parking bays - parking metre/first day : $83.20
- Parking metre/each day thereafter: $41.60
Can I apply for multiple dates on 1 permit?
Yes, you can apply for a multi permit which allows up to 10 dates on 1 permit.
I want to activate my permit
To activate your multi permit you must do the following:
- Lodge your request for activation on the website providing the permit number and the date you require the permit to be activated.
- If there are multiple approved traffic management plans for the permit, provide the plan number and confirm what plant and equipment is being used.
- For road closures - the approved notification letter must be on file.
- Permit activation requests must be submitted by 4.30 pm for next day activations if you wish to commence works at 7am Monday to Friday or for Saturday works commencing at 9am.
- Activation requests received after 4.30pm will not be processed until the next business day, therefore you cannot commence work prior to receiving official confirmation.
- You will receive a confirmation email from us if the permit has successfully activated. Works must not start until you receive confirmation.
- If you wish to cancel a permit, this request must be received before 9am on the date of the works to receive a refund of the permit and activation fee for that day.