How to pay a local laws fine

This information is applicable to Local laws, animals, planning and health fines issued by City of Yarra.

If you have received an infringement you can view our photos of the offence, this will help you choose what action to take to resolve your infringement.

You will need to provide the infringement number and offence address in order to view the details.  Photos are not always taken by officers when issuing infringements. If the infringement details (such as time, date, location) are showing without any photos, it is most likely that the officer has not taken any photos on this occasion.

You can make a payment via:

  • Payments Online
  • 1300 792 772
  • Mail: Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond, 3121 (please make the cheque payable to Yarra City Council)
  • In person at a Yarra City Council contact centre

What payment options are available?

We can issue you with a payment plan if you fit the criteria set out by the Attorney-General’s Guidelines.

A Payment Plan with us is an extension of time to pay.  The outstanding amount needs to be paid in full by the agreed date and cannot be paid via instalments. 

 As of  31st December 2017 payment plans are also available to companies.

You may be eligible for a payment arrangement with Fines Victoria.  Please visit their website for further details.

Who will be offered a payment plan?

You will be automatically offered a payment plan if you are in receipt of any one of the following:

  • Commonwealth Government (Centrelink) Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card
  • Centrelink Health Care Card (all types including non-means tested).

 What are the grounds I can appeal an infringement notice?

The Victorian Infringements Act 2006 provides 4 specific grounds for review. They are:

  • Special circumstances
  • Contrary to law
  • Exceptional circumstances
  • Mistake of identity
  • Persons unaware

Special Circumstances 

Special circumstances apply where the parking offender is homeless, has a mental or intellectual disability, is addicted to drugs or alcohol, or suffers from a condition which results in the person being unable to understand the offending conduct, unable to control the conduct or family violence.

If you select this ground of review, you must include official letters of support or other documentation from treatment providers such as medical practitioners, social workers or drug and alcohol counsellors.

Contrary to law

Contrary to law applies when you believe no parking offence took place. You will need to provide details about why you believe the decision to issue the infringement notice is unlawful.

An example of this is receiving a notice for parking in a loading zone on a Saturday when the zone rules apply Monday to Friday. Another example is when you have purchased a ticket but subsequently received an infringement.

Exceptional circumstances

Exceptional circumstances include unforeseeable or unpreventable circumstances where the offender was not able to prevent the offence from occurring. This would include a faulty ticket machine, a genuine emergency or mechanical breakdown. It also includes a medical emergency and parking to avoid a collision or hazard.

Exceptional circumstances do not include, having no coins for a ticket machine, being held up at the doctors or running late for a meeting.

We have the authority to decide whether your situation counts as exceptional or not. You must prove the situation was serious and beyond your control. You need to provide supporting evidence (e.g. doctors or ambulance report, mechanics report).

Mistake of identity

Mistake of identity applies when the person was not the offender. 

Persons unaware

There are circumstances where a person is unaware of the infringement notice having been served because of a change in address or that you were interstate or overseas at the time the notice was served. 

How to request an internal review of your fine

You can submit your application for internal review the following ways:

  • Appeal Online
  • Mail: Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond, 3121 (please make the cheque payable to Yarra City Council)
  • In person at a Yarra City Council contact centre

 Work and development permit scheme

The Work and Development Permit (WDP) Scheme is a new initiative to provide vulnerable and disadvantaged people with a non-financial option to address their fine debt.  A WDP allows an eligible person to work off fine debt by participating in certain activities and treatment.  If you are interested to learn more about the WDP Scheme, contact the WDP Operational Team at or telephone 1300 323 483 or read more on the Justice Victoria website.