Road and footpath opening

When do I need to apply for consent?

If you are conducting works that require excavation into the road, footpath or our land you will need consent.

Works may include connecting new services such as water, underground power supply, storm water, or reinstatement of our asset.

The Installation of Ground Water Monitoring Wells also requires a consent and may require a Deed of Indemnity to be prepared by Council's lawyers, this will be determined by the impact of the well/s and public liability insurance of the applicant.

How do I apply?

To help improve our service, please click here to send us feedback on using the online portal. It will only take a few minutes.

  1. Download the Road Opening Application Form.  Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application.  You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.   
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Click here to submit your application online.
  4. You will receive automatic notification and an application number which must be used for all future correspondence.       
  5. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.                  
  6. If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents.  Please use our Road Closure Notification Template to assist   All stakeholders within 100m must be notified. Please also attach a map for the proposed delivery are of the notification for approval. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.

Permits and Consents_User Guide_How to prepare a courtesy letter for a Road Closure_June_2021_v2

Details of our standard drawings can be found here.

What are the permitted hours of works?

Works should be carried out within the times of :

  • Monday to Friday - 7am to 6pm
  • Saturday - 9am to 3pm
  • No works permitted on Sunday

Any works outside of these times would need to be applied for and approved by City of Yarra through an Out of Hours Permits.

Will I need any other approvals before applying for consent to open the road or footpath?

Yes, you may need further approvals before your consent can be processed.

This could include:

Stormwater drainage

We must approve storm water drainage for building and development sites as well the relevant building surveyor . You must apply for  Report and Consent - Regulation 133 legal point of discharge from us prior to obtaining the permit. You must submit your application online.

Electricity supply underground

We must approve underground electrical supply, water or sewage mains on any other underground service. Detailed construction or civil plans must be submitted to one of our engineers who will respond in writing and supply a 'consent' or 'works approval letter' (pursuant to section 63 of the Road Management Act 2004) which will be subject to terms and conditions.

Dial Before You Dig

To locate the presence of existing services contact Dial Before You Dig. Submit a copy of the response with your application for consent.

Removal of Parking Sensors

If the works are within the parking bay where sensors are located, the sensors must be removed prior to works. Please find application form to remove sensors here.

You can view a map of the parking sensor locations here.  Please note the green indicates the streets where the sensors are installed. 

Once completed, please forward to [email protected]

How long will my application take to process?

Initial assessment of your application can take up to 7 working days.  A consent application for the installation of Ground Water Monitoring Wells can take up to 4-6 weeks to assess where a Deed of Indemnity is required. 

  A permit cannot be issued until all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.

How much does it cost?

Costs will vary depending on the works to be undertaken.

As a guide the following costs may apply:

  • Permit fee: $91.70
  • Inspection fees: $165.90 per inspection
  • A minimum of 3 inspections will be required. 
  • For Ground Water Monitoring Wells - preparation of Deed of Indemnity fees start at $1095.00 + GST

How can I request an update of my permit application?

You can request an update of your permit application using an online enquiry.  A permits officer will respond to your request.

Please note initial assessment of your application can take up to 7 working days.

If you require further information about associated costs, refer to our adopted budget or call Yarra City Council on 03 9205 5555.