When do I need to apply for consent?
If you are conducting works in the road, footpath or on our land you will need consent.
Works may include connecting new services such as water, underground power supply, stormwater or reinstatement of our asset.
How do I apply?
To help improve our service, please click here to send us feedback on using the online portal. It will only take a few minutes.
- Download the Road Opening Consent application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online.
- You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
- You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
- If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. A template to assist with this can be found here. All letters must be stamped approved by Council prior to distribution. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.
There is 2 options to satisfy the requirement for the notification letter:
- Distribute a letter 7 days prior to works; or
- Distribute a monthly notification letter, followed by a notification letter 2 days prior to works.
Details of our standard drawings can be found here.
What are the permitted hours of works?
Works should be carried out within the times of :
- Monday to Friday - 7am to 6pm
- Saturday - 9am to 3pm
- No works permitted on Sunday
Any works outside of these times would need to be applied for and approved by City of Yarra.
Will I need any other approvals before applying for consent to open the road or footpath?
Yes, you may need further approvals before your consent can be processed.
This could include:
We must approve storm water drainage for building and development sites as well the relevant building surveyor . You must apply for Report and Consent - Regulation 133 legal point of discharge from us prior to obtaining the permit. You must submit your application online.
Electricity supply underground
We must approve underground electrical supply, water or sewage mains on any other underground service. Detailed construction or civil plans must be submitted to one of our engineers who will respond in writing and supply a 'consent' or 'works approval letter' (pursuant to section 63 of the Road Management Act 2004) which will be subject to terms and conditions.
Dial Before You Dig
To locate the presence of existing services contact Dial Before You Dig. Submit a copy of the response with your application for consent.
Removal of Parking Sensors
If the works are within the parking bay where sensors are located, the sensors must be removed prior to works. Please find application form to remove sensors here.
You can view a map of the parking sensor locations here. Please note the green indicates the streets where the sensors are installed.
Once completed, please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org
How long will my application take to process?
You can expect to have your permit generally within 3 business days from when all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory
A fast track assessment option is now available.
On payment of a non refundable fast track fee of $100 your permit application will be assessed as a priority.
This initial assessment may result in the request for further information which may delay the processing time.
You must :
- Submit a completed online application.
- Outline your request to fast track the assessment in the ‘application description’ section.
- Submit at least 24 hours before works commencing.
Your application will be assessed as a priority.
How much does it cost?
Costs will vary depending on the works to be undertaken.
As a guide the following costs may apply:
- Permit fee: $86.70 Inspection fees: $147.85 per inspection
- Out of hours inspections (if required): $449.10
- A minimum of 2 to 3 inspections will be required.
- Reinstatement fees - applicants are responsible for backfilling all openings made to roads and footpaths to our standards. Reinstatement fees will depend on the type and size of the surface with a minimum charge of $275. Additional fees will be charged where details of openings are not provided or differ from what your application stated.
- Traffic Management $500.00.
If you require further information about associated costs, refer to our adopted budget or call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555.