When do I need to apply for consent?
If you are conducting works in the road, footpath or on our land you will need consent.
Works may include connecting new services such as water, underground power supply, stormwater or reinstatement of our asset.
How do I apply?
Applications are submitted online.
- Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online.
- You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
- You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
- If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. A template to assist with this can be found here.
Details of our standard drawings can be found here.
Will I need any other approvals before applying for consent to open the road or footpath?
Yes, you may need further approvals before your consent can be processed.
This could include:
We must approve storm water drainage for building and development sites as well the relevant building surveyor . You must apply for Report and Consent - Regulation 610 legal point of discharge from us prior to obtaining the permit. You must submit your application online.
Electricity supply underground
We must approve underground electrical supply, water or sewage mains on any other underground service. Detailed construction or civil plans must be submitted to one of our engineers who will respond in writing and supply a 'consent' or 'works approval letter' (pursuant to section 63 of the Road Management Act 2004) which will be subject to terms and conditions.
Dial Before You Dig
To locate the presence of existing services contact Dial Before You Dig. Submit a copy of the response with your application for consent.
How long will my application take to process?
You can expect to have your permit generally within 3 business days from when all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory
If you want to speed up the process you can attend Richmond Town Hall in person and pay a fast track fee of $70. All required documentation must be supplied at this time.
How much does it cost?
Costs will vary depending on the works to be undertaken.
As a guide the following costs may apply:
- Permit fee: $85.30.
- Inspection fees: $144.60 (per inspection Mon-Fri 7am to 6pm).
- Weekend inspections (if required): $439.20.
- A minimum of 2 to 3 inspections will be required.
- Reinstatement fees - applicants are responsible for backfilling all openings made to roads and footpaths to our standards. Reinstatement fees will depend on the type and size of the surface with a minimum charge of $275. Additional fees will be charged where details of openings are not provided or differ from what your application stated.
If you require further information about associated costs, refer to our adopted budget or call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555.