Yarra’s population is growing. By 2031, an extra 32,970 people will move to Yarra and will live in an additional 13,400 homes.
As more people choose to call Yarra home, housing growth needs to be planned and managed in a way that maintains the city’s key characteristics, liveability and creates additional benefits, including:
- increased supply of affordable housing
- greater choice and diversity of housing
- well-designed internal and outdoor communal spaces in new development.
We’ve developed a Housing Strategy (PDF 10.2 MB) in 2018 which is being currently implemented to plan ahead for population growth. It was developed and refined through extensive community consultation.
The Yarra Housing Strategy includes four strategic directions that articulate Yarra’s preferred growth strategy, which responds to the unique context of Yarra, including:
- Strategic direction 1: Monitor population growth, land capacity and evolving development trends in Yarra to plan for future housing growth and needs
- Strategic direction 2: Direct housing growth to appropriate locations
- Strategic direction 3: Plan for more housing choice to support Yarra’s diverse community
- Strategic direction 4: Facilitate the provision of more affordable housing in Yarra
The adopted Yarra Housing Strategy has guided and informed decisions on how residential land in the municipality will evolve and develop into the future.
Following Council’s adoption of the new Yarra Housing Strategy, we commenced a successful program of work to implement the directions of the Housing Strategy, including the drafting of proposed new local housing planning policies being introduced via Amendment C269yara.