When do I need a filming permit?
A filming permit is required if you wish to use Council land for the purpose of still photography, television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos.
How do I apply for a filming permit?
Filming permits must be submitted online
- Download the application form. Fill it out and upload when submitting your application. (You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents)
- Read application form carefully it includes a checklist of what we require to assess your application.
- Complete the Filming Notification Letter Template to upload with your application.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online.
- You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
- You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
How long will my permit take?
When all required documentation has been supplied and satisfactory you can expect to have your permit generally within 10 working days.
How much will my filming permit cost?
Filming Permit Fees
- Assessment fee (non-refundable and paid at application submission) - $106.00
- Commercial/major impact filming – $1295.00
- Student filming – no charge
- Non-profit making films – no charge (you must provide your Victoria Fundraising Registration Number)
- Inspection fee – $157.00
- Out of hours inspection fee – $477.00
Inspection/s are required when Traffic Management is implemented for the filming activity.
If you require parking in the area you will need to complete the parking request information on pages 5 and 6 of the filming permit application form. This will be referred and assessed by our Parking Services Team. You will be charged a daily rate for each parking bay you require.
- First day – $111.50
- Subsequent day – $58.90
- First day – $66.50
- Subsequent day – $33.50
If you are filming on private land & only require parking, please contact our Parking Services Team on 03 9205 5555
Parks, sports grounds and council buildings
If you require use of a Yarra facility, park, sports ground or other open space, your application will be referred and assessed by the appropriate department to ensure it meets our hiring conditions and the location is available. If approved a separate booking fee will apply for all filming applicants. Student or Not for profit applicants may be eligible for a reduced rate.
Filming Approval Act 2014
In Victoria there is legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local Councils and State Government agencies.
The Filming Approval Act 2014, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines 8 film friendly principles and the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across the state.
Other resources available
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email email@example.com.