Register an accommodation business

Learn how to register your accommodation business, including fees and permit requirements.

If you are opening, buying or selling an accommodation business, under the Public Health & Wellbeing Act you need to ensure the premises is registered with us.

This includes:

  • motels
  • hotels
  • hostels
  • student dormitories
  • rooming houses.

A rooming house requires registration if there are four or more residents. Registration is required for all other types of accommodation if there are six or more residents (excluding members of the operator’s family).

Registering your accommodation business

Step 1: Submit a new business concierge enquiry

A business concierge enquiry helps us understand what your business needs are, including what permits you may require.

An Economic Development Officer will be your contact person with us. This Officer will help you get started and when your business is opened.

Submit A Business Concierge Enquiry

Step 2: Apply for other permits (if required)

Once your business concierge enquiry has been assessed, we will let you know if you need any further permits before you register your health premises.

Step 3: Apply for accommodation business registration

Once your business concierge enquiry is complete, we will send you a confirmation email with the link to the application form to register your business.

The form will ask questions around the types of services you will be providing to customers. Your answers will affect your risk classification and applicable fees.

When completing the application, you will need to log into your account. This will be set up for you as part of your business concierge enquiry.

You will need to give the following information:

  • what services you are providing as part of your business
  • general business information such as the property address
  • email address
  • company name (legal entity)
  • trading name (registered business name).

Accommodation business registration fees

The fees will depend on the services you provide. Registration fees are charged on a pro-rate basis between 1 January to 31 December.

Classification Application Fee Registration/Renewal fee Transfer Fee Fee for additional resident (more than 5)
Commercial $156.00  $325.00  $162.50 $16.50
Not-for-profit $81.50  $162.50 $81.50 $8.50

Registered premises will receive a renewal notice in November to renew before the registration expiry date of 31 December.

If you register your business between 1 October to 31 December, you will be charged 15 months if you are a higher risk premises. This will take your registration to the following December. 

Fit-out requirements for accommodation businesses

For fit-out requirements such as the maximum number of residents per room please refer to the Public Health and Wellbeing (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2020.

Transfer the registration of an existing accommodation business

If you are buying an accommodation business in Yarra, you will need to transfer the registration into the new business owner's name. 

To complete a transfer, you will need to:

Update contact or business details

Please let us know if any of the following has changed:

  • Contact details (phone, email or postal address).
  • Business details (trading name, ABN, type of premises, change in services).
  • Trading hours.

Update contact or business details

If you have recently closed your business or transferred the business to a new owner, you will need to register a business closure.

register a business closure