Asset protection permits

When do I need a permit?

You will need an asset protection permit if your works require a building permit. The permit is to minimise damage to our assets and to maintain public amenity and safety throughout the build. Refer to General Local Law 2016 - Procedure and Protocol Manual to check when exemptions apply. 

How do I apply?

Applications are now submitted onlineTo help improve our service, please click here to send us feedback on using the online portal. It will only take a few minutes.

  1. Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Click here to submit your application online.
  4. You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
  5. You will be notified once assessment has been completed.  This notification will include cost of permit and if a bond is required.

How long will my application take to process?

You can expect to have your permit generally within 5 business days from when all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.

At this point, the requirement for a bond will be determined and you will be notified.

Will there be inspections?

Yes, we will inspect our assets at the following stages:

  • Before you commence works. A report of the existing conditions will be completed.
  • During the works.
  • At the completion of your works. We will inspect our assets and you will be liable for any damage that has occurred. You must call us on 9205 5555 to book a final inspection.

How much does it cost?

The permit fee is based on the cost of your overall works and not refundable:

  • Works up to $10,000 – Free of charge
  • Works between $10,001 and $500,000.00 - $247.00
  • Works over $500,000.00 - $743.30

A bond may be required based on the scope of your works. This will be assessed on a case by case basis. The minimum bond amount is $5000.00. The bond will be refunded at the end of the works if no damage has occurred.

How do I pay the bond?

There are 2 methods of payment for bonds:

  1. You will receive an invoice which can be paid to Yarra City Council by cash, cheque or credit card.
  2. Bank guarantee. You can approach your bank to draw up a bank guarantee to supply to us. It must include the following information:
  • addressed to: Yarra City Council, ABN: 98 394 086 520, PO Box 168 Richmond VIC 3121 or 333 Bridge Rd Richmond VIC 3121
  • site address
  • your company details
  • description of works
  • Asset Protection Permit number
  • amount of guarantee
  • expiry date - we don't accept unconditional bank guarantees or bank guarantees with an expiry date.

How do I get my bond refunded?

Once the works have been completed, make your request in writing to Your application will be processed and a final inspection of the site will be completed. If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your application will be finalised and your bond returned.

If you paid the bond using a credit card, the bond will be refunded back to the card. Otherwise, a cheque will be sent to the applicant.