When do I need a permit?
You will need an asset protection permit if your works require a building permit. This permit is to minimise damage to councils assets and to maintain public amenity and safety throughout the build. Refer to General Local Law 2016 - Procedure and Protocol Manual to check when exemptions apply.
How do I apply?
- Download the application form. Complete and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online.
- Your application will be sent directly to the permits team. You will receive automatic notification and an application number which must be used for all future correspondence.
- You will be notified once assessment has been completed. This notification will include cost of permit and if a bond is required.
How long will my application take to process?
Initial assessment of your application can take up to 5 business days. A permit cannot be issued until all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.
At this point, the requirement for a bond will be determined and you will be notified of the outcome.
How can I request an update of my permit application?
You can request an update of your permit application using an on-line enquiry. A permits officer will respond to your request.
Please note initial assessment of your application can take up to 5 working days.
Will there be inspections?
Yes, we will inspect our assets at the following stages:
- Before you commence works. A report of the existing conditions will be completed.
- During the works.
- At the completion of your works. We will inspect our assets and you will be liable for any damage that has occurred. You must call us on 9205 5555 to book a final inspection.
How much does it cost?
The permit fee is based on the cost of your overall works and not refundable:
- Works up to $10,000 – Free of charge
- Works between $10,001 and $500,000.00 - $247.00
- Works over $500,000.00 - $743.30
A bond may be required based on the scope of your works. This will be assessed on a case by case basis. The minimum bond amount is $5000.00. The bond will be refunded at the end of the works if no damage has occurred.
How do I pay the bond?
There are 2 methods of payment for bonds:
- You will receive an invoice which can be paid to Yarra City Council by cash, cheque or credit card or a bank guarantee.
- If you are providing a bank guarantee you can approach your bank to draw up a bank guarantee to supply to us.
- A bank guarantee must include the following information:
- Site address
- Your company details
- Description of works
- Asset Protection Permit number
- Amount of guarantee
- Expiry date - we don't accept unconditional bank guarantees or bank guarantees with an expiry date
- The bank guarantee must be made in favor of Yarra City Council, ABN 98 394 086 520 - PO Box 168 Richmond 3121 or 333 Bridge Road Richmond 3121.
When do I get a refund of my bond?
Once all works have been completed, make your request in writing to email@example.com. Your application will be processed and a final inspection of the site will be completed. If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your application will be finalised and your bond returned in full.
If you paid the bond using a credit card, the bond will be refunded back to the card. Otherwise, a cheque will be sent to the applicant.