New ways to recycle in Yarra
Thursday 02 November 2023
Council is working with the Victorian Government’s Container Deposit Scheme to provide our community with new ways to recycle.
We’re working with the Victorian Government to provide our residents with opportunities and incentives to recycle more materials and transition to a circular economy. We know our community wants to see a future for Yarra with a safe climate where people and nature thrive.
The Container Deposit Scheme (CDS) is a Victorian Government initiative that rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible drinking container at designated refund points. These containers create a clean material stream for recycling.
As of 1 November 2023, the following locations will be open to receive containers:
- IGA Abbotsford, 306-310 Johnston Street, Abbotsford
- Cherish Health Richmond, 184 Bridge Road, Richmond
- The Lott Richmond, 136 Swan Street, Richmond
One of the ways that residents can participate in the CDS is recycling eligible drinking containers through self-service drop-off points called “reverse vending machines”. Locations of the reverse vending machines will be confirmed soon.
The scheme will benefit the Yarra community by:
- reducing litter in streets and waterways
- providing charities, community groups, environmental organisations, sports groups, and educational organisations with a potential fund-raising stream
- increasing recycling participation
To learn more about the container deposit scheme, including the types of containers that will be accepted, visit the What you can recycle page of our website.