Have your say on the future of Yarra's transport system
Friday 11 March 2022
At Tuesday night’s Council Meeting, Yarra Council endorsed a new, ten-year Transport Strategy which sets out the future for transport in the municipality and aims to establish Yarra as a leader in sustainable transport options and infrastructure.
Whether it’s creating safer options for pedestrians, cyclists and other road users, improving accessibility for our children and school communities, or looking at how we reduce through traffic on our local streets, this strategy is working towards creating a safe, accessible, reliable and well-connected transport network that is sustainable and responds to all our needs – and we want your feedback!
If adopted, this plan will:
- provide sustainable and zero emission transport options
- create a safer and more accessible city
- promote a healthy and active lifestyle
- build a transport network that is easy for locals and visitors to use
- support job growth and local investment through a sustainable transport network
- improve pedestrian and cycling access
- establish Yarra as a leader in sustainable transport through the introduction of innovative transport models
- reduce traffic congestion by focusing on improving traffic movement and reducing car usage
- position Yarra as a city that prioritises and invests in sustainable transport options
Mayor of Yarra, Sophie Wade, said she’s looking forward to working with the community on a shared vision for Yarra’s transport future.
“This plan outlines our goals for the future of transport in Yarra. This is all about working in partnership with our community and all tiers of government to create a transport network that is sustainable, reliable and makes Yarra an even better place to live, visit and travel through,” she said.
“We know we can improve our transport system and that Yarra can lead the way with innovative and sustainable transport options. I’m excited to present this strategy and I welcome contributions from our community.”
Find out more and share your feedback.