A new roundabout for Canning and Richardson streets
Wednesday 15 August 2018
Did you know that there have been 18 crashes at the intersection of Canning and Richardson streets, North Carlton in the past 5 years?
That’s why we’re applying for funding under the Australian Government’s Black Spot program.
We would use the funds to build a roundabout to make the intersection safer for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
We invite you to take a look at our initial plan below and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
The proposed roundabout is similar to the one at the intersection of Canning and Pigdon streets, which is no longer considered a ‘black spot’ following a reduction in accidents.
- Central island and extended kerbs to guide vehicle entry and encourage slower speeds.
- Sharrows (shared lane markings) to improve the visibility of bicycles in the roundabout.
- Raised pedestrian crossings on Richardson Street (with bus friendly ramps) to improve access and reduce speeds.
- Central island features concrete outer edge to allow passage of buses.
- Retention of existing bluestone paving.
- Vegetation on the central island and kerb extensions.
- A reduction of five parking spaces.
Drop-in session from 4pm to 6pm on Wednesday 5 September at the corner of Canning and Richardson streets, North Carlton.
email@example.com (subject: roundabout).
Traffic Engineering Team on 9205 5555.
Contact us with your questions and feedback by Friday 7 September 2018.