Council welcomes announcement on Ryans Reserve
Tuesday 06 June 2017
Yarra Council welcomes the recent announcement from Planning Minister Richard Wynne that Ryan’s Reserve in Richmond has been returned to the community.
The State Government last year proposed to rezone the popular netball facility to allow for commercial and residential development.
The netball courts are well-used and much-loved by the community, and Council has supported a passionate public campaign to reverse the rezoning and preserve Ryan’s Reserve as a place for community sport and recreation.
In opposing the rezoning, Council noted the high and increasing demand for netball facilities at Ryan’s Reserve, including almost 2000 players per week from the Richmond Netball Association and City Side Sports club.
Council also highlighted the need to retain precious, limited open space to support the health and wellbeing of Yarra’s growing population.Yarra Mayor Cr Amanda Stone said she was delighted that the netball courts would be retained for current and future generations, especially girls and young women.
“Yarra welcomes the State Government’s decision to retain Ryan’s Reserve as a valuable community asset,” Cr Stone said.
“Council has advocated from the outset that this land should be kept as open space to be used and enjoyed by the community.
This decision will be welcomed by the community of Yarra, as ours is a municipality that must protect its limited open space for the health and wellbeing of its residents.” she said.