Each year we conduct an extensive survey of households to gauge importance and satisfaction levels with a range of our services, as well as determining emerging issues and priorities.
The latest Annual Customer Satisfaction Survey [5MB, pdf] was conducted in February 2020 by Metropolis Research. This year 804 households participated in the survey.
Scores are provided by survey respondents on a scale of 0 (low) to 10 (high) and averaged to describe results. The averages are also classified into satisfaction categories ranging from "excellent" (above 7.75) to "extremely poor" (less than 5).
Overall satisfaction with our performance declined slightly from "very good" (7.3 out of 10) in 2019 to "good" (7.15 out of 10) in 2020. This is higher than the metropolitan Melbourne average of 6.99.
The average satisfaction with our 27 included services and facilities improved once again from 7.93 in 2019, to 7.98 in 2020 maintaining the classification of "excellent".
Our 5 highest rating services in 2020 were:
|2||Regular garbage collection
|3||Council public pool facilities at Richmond, Fitzroy or Collingwood
|4||Council public leisure centre and gym facilities at Richmond, Fitzroy or Collingwood
|5||Burnley Golf Course
18 of our services rated higher than 7.75, which is categorised as "excellent", seven were rated as "very good" (7.25 to 7.75) and two were rated as "good" (6.5 to 7.25).
The three most improved service areas from 2019 were Burnley Golf Course, services for people with a disability, and Council public leisure centre and gym facilities at Richmond, Fitzroy or Collingwood.
Top 5 issues in 2020
Respondents were asked to nominate what they consider to be the top three issues for the City of Yarra at the moment. The top five issues identified in 2020 were:
- Car parking (nominated by 17.5% of respondents)
- Building, planning and housing development (nominated by 11.8% of respondents)
- Traffic management (nominated by 9.3% of respondents)
- Drug related issues (nominated by 7.5% of respondents)
- Safety, policing and crime (nominated by 7.3% of respondents)
There was significant variation across our ten neighbourhoods:
- Car parking was the number one identified issue in Collingwood, Richmond Central, Fitzroy North and Fitzroy
- Traffic management was the number one issue in Clifton Hill
- Building, planning and development was the most significant issue identified in Richmond South (Cremorne and Burnley), and Fairfield-Alphington
- Drug related issues were more likely to be identified in Abbotsford and Richmond North
- While in Carlton North recycling collection was the number one issue
Improvements observed by residents in last two years:
- Parks, gardens and open space (observed by 5.7% of respondents)
- Roads maintenance and repairs (observed by 4.7% of respondents)
- Street trees maintenance and provision (observed by 3.9% of respondents)
- Bike/walking trails and facilities (observed by 2.9% of respondents)
Preferred improvements to the local area by residents:
- Parking (7.5%)
- Street trees maintenance and provision (4.5%)
- Parks, gardens and open space (4.4%)
- Traffic management (4.2%)
- Building, housing, planning and development (4.1%)
Survey respondents rated our customer service as "very good" (7.74 out of 10), with "excellent" scores for staff understanding language needs (8.68) and the professionalism of staff (7.91).
For more information call Yarra City Council on 03 9205 5555 or email email@example.com