Each year we conduct an extensive survey of households to gauge importance and satisfaction levels with a range of our services, as well as determining emerging issues and priorities. Participating households are randomly selected from across the municipality.
The latest Annual Customer Satisfaction Survey was conducted in February 2021 by Metropolis Research. This year, 803 households participated in the survey.
Scores are provided by survey respondents on a scale of 0 (low) to 10 (high) and averaged to describe results. The averages are also classified into satisfaction categories ranging from ‘excellent’ (above 7.75) to ‘extremely poor’ (less than 5).
Impact of COVID-19 on the survey
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has affected all local governments in Victoria and has impacted on the methodology of the survey.
A telephone survey was carried out rather than in-person interviews, occurring during Victoria’s third lockdown in February 2021. This resulted in a significantly reduced response rate, down from 47% to 27% since 2020. More people said no when asked if they would respond to an interview over the phone compared to those who said no in person.
This resulted in the survey respondents this year including:
- Less ‘newer residents’ (people who have been residents for between 1 and 5 years).
- Less public housing residents.
The impact of the pandemic saw an overall decline in satisfaction across metropolitan Melbourne municipalities. The results were also influenced by when the survey was carried out, at the same time as a lockdown.
Overall satisfaction with Yarra Council’s performance was rated 6.85 out of 10 in 2021, which is classified as ‘good’.
Yarra’s customer service was rated ‘very good’ (7.26 out of 10), with an ‘excellent’ score of 8.72 for staff understanding language needs, a slight increase since 2020.
Services and facilities
The average satisfaction with 26 of our services and facilities was rated ‘very good’ at 7.55 in 2021.
Our 5 highest rating services in 2021 were:
|2||Services for families and children||8.29||Excellent|
|3||Hard rubbish booking and pick up||8.12||Excellent|
|4||Yarra's leisure centre and gym facilities at Richmond, Fitzroy and Collingwood||8.00||Excellent|
|5||Yarra's swimming pool facilities at Richmond, Fitzroy and Collingwood||7.99||Excellent|
Overall, our services were rated:
- 10 of our services rated higher than 7.75 which is categorised as ‘excellent’.
- 9 were rated between 7.25 and 7.75, which is categories as ‘very good’.
- 7 were rated as ‘good’, receiving scores between 6.5 and 7.25.
Top 5 issues in 2021
Respondents were asked to nominate what they consider to be the top 5 issues for Yarra Council.
The top 5 issues identified in 2021 were:
- Recycling collection
- Building, planning and housing development
- Car parking
- Drug related issues
- Parks, gardens and open space
Variation across our ten neighbourhoods
There was significant variation in responses across our 10 neighbourhoods.
Building, planning and development was the most significant issue identified in Fitzroy North, Richmond South (Cremorne and Burnley), and Fairfield-Alphington.
Recycling collection was the number one identified issue in Collingwood, Richmond Central, Clifton Hill and Fitzroy.
Drug related issues were more likely to be identified in Abbotsford and Richmond North.
While in Carlton North parks, gardens and open space was the number one issue.
Improvements observed by residents in last 2 years:
- Parks, gardens and open space (observed by 8.1% of respondents)
- Bike/walking trails and facilities (observed by 7.1% of respondents)
- Roads maintenance and repairs (observed by 3.9% of respondents)
- Cleanliness of areas including streets (observed by 2.1% of respondents)
- Traffic management (observed by 2% of respondents)
Preferred improvements to the local area by residents:
- Bike/walking trails and facilities (observed by 5.9% of respondents)
- Parks, gardens and open space (observed by 5.7% of respondents)
- Building, housing, planning and development (observed by 4.4% of respondents)
- Parking (observed by 3.7% of respondents)
- Recycling (observed by 3.7% of respondents)
For more information call Yarra City Council on 03 9205 5555 or email email@example.com