Council conducts citizenship ceremonies on behalf of the Commonwealth Government.
Approved applicants receive an invitation direct from the Department of Home Affairs with the ceremony date and details. This invitation is sent approximately four weeks before the ceremony.
All citizenship ceremonies are held at Collingwood Town Hall, 140 Hoddle St, Abbotsford.
Ceremonies are planned to be held at:
- 10.00am on Friday 22 March 2024 (Harmony Week)
- 5.00pm on Wednesday 19 June 2024
- 5.30pm on Tuesday 17 September 2024 (Australian Citizenship Day)
- 5.00pm on Wednesday 4 December 2024
Registration opens one hour before each ceremony. Latecomers cannot be admitted and will be rescheduled to a later ceremony.
While we are unable to influence which ceremony each candidate is invited to, we work hard to reduce the waiting time for approved candidates. To do this, we schedule ceremonies frequently and do our best to avoid school holidays and public holiday weekends.
We cannot predict which ceremony an approved candidate will be invited to, but invitations to ceremonies are sent out by the Department approximately four weeks before each ceremony. If your citizenship has been approved by that date, you will most likely be invited to the next ceremony, but this cannot be guaranteed.
Council is required to establish a dress code for Citizenship Ceremonies. Our dress code is based on the following principles:
- Citizenship ceremonies are a celebration of an important step in the lives of conferees, with each individual having their own story and reasons for becoming an Australian.
- The attire of conferees and their guests at citizenship ceremonies should reflect the significance of the occasion to each of them, and participants should feel comfortable dressing as they wish.
- Conferees and their guests at citizenship ceremonies are most welcome to wear traditional, cultural and/or national dress.
With these principles in mind, attendees are welcome to dress in whatever way they feel comfortable.
Citizenship is a responsibility of the Commonwealth Government, and all enquiries must be directed to the Department of Home Affairs using the following details:
- Australian Citizenship Hotline - call 131 880
- General enquiries about immigration, visas and working in Australia - call 131 881
- Information about Australian Citizenship - visit Department of Home Affairs Australian Citizenship
- Information about Citizenship Ceremonies - visit Department of Home Affairs Citizenship Ceremonies
Council is unable to assist with citizenship related matters.