Yarra Council and Yarra Libraries are providing food relief options for residents who need them. These include food packages and pre-made frozen meals.
These options will be available during the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdowns and recovery. Please bring a bag to any of the following centres.
Collingwood Senior Citizens Centre on Mondays from 10am to 12pm and Thursdays from 10am to 2pm.
This provides a variety of ready-made frozen meals for international students and visa holders. However, the offer will be open to anyone in need.
All meals will be free and will look to have vegetarian, meat and halal options to cater to dietary requirements.
Napier Street near Atherton Gardens on the second Friday of the month from 2pm to 4pm.
2022 Dates: 12 August, 9 September, 14 October
This provides a variety of pre-packed food parcels with fresh fruit, vegetables and some pantry essentials. The market is subject to density limits and COVID-19 restrictions.
If restrictions are in place, all items will be pre-packaged. Always follow the directions of staff.
During periods of lockdown market runs 12.30-2pm, subject to change without notice.
Food relief through the Victorian Government
As of Friday 1 July 2022, there will be changes to how the Victorian Government delivers food relief.
The following options are available for individuals looking to access food, essential items and support to isolate at home:
- People are encouraged to plan ahead for a potential quarantine period. Consider what food and other essential items they might need, including things like nappies, cleaning products and toys. The Department of Health has a series of tips to help prepare for your isolation period.
- Use online shopping or delivery services.
- Reach out to friends and family for support. Make sure they provide contactless assistance and leave items at your door.
- If you need help finding local food relief programs or urgent support, call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 and select option 3 to speak with one of the team. If you need an interpreter, select option zero (0).
- If your support needs are urgent and ongoing, call the Coronavirus Hotline (1800 675 398) and discuss a placement at the Victorian Quarantine Hub.
Food Relief Providers:
Below is a list of local community organisations in Yarra who can further support our residents with various kinds of food relief. Please click on the link to go to the providers webpage for more information and contact details.
- Salvation Army
- St Marks Community Centre
- Belgium Avenue Neighbourhood House & Collingwood Neighbourhood House
- Lentil as Anything
- St Vincent de Paul
- Mission House
- Richmond Churches Food Centre
- St Mary’s House of Welcome
- Cultivating Community
- Open Table
- Meals with Impact
Support for older people and people with a disability:
Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders:
Support for Asylum Seekers
Reduced cost fresh groceries
Emergency relief packs
If you are experiencing hardship directly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be eligible for support from the Victorian Government.
Call the Victorian Government 24-hour COVID-19 hotline on 1800 675 398.
For more Victorian Government information visit the Department of Health & Human Services website.
Ask Izzy is an online search service that can link you to various services and information regarding housing, food, health, counselling services and more.