Changes to your waste service
Tuesday 28 April 2020
We want to make some changes to your waste and recycling service to help us reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and so we can all recycle better.
The roll out of these changes has been delayed due to COVID-19. But we hope to bring them to you in the 2020/21 financial year.
When we change our waste and recycling service, it will be our chance as a community to help fix Victoria’s waste and recycling system.
You’ll be prepared
Before the changes start, you’ll receive a full information kit with all the details on what you need to do. We’ll be with you every step of the way.
Your waste and recycling won’t change without us giving you lots of notice and lots of information.
Plus we’ll give you plenty of opportunities to learn more and talk to us about the new system.
Until then, please keep recycling and putting your bins out for collection as usual.
What can I do in the meantime?
It’s important now more than ever to keep our food fresh and extend its shelf life.
- Cut down on your food waste by storing groceries in dry, airtight reusable containers in the fridge or pantry.
- Make sure your fridge is set to 5°C or below.
- Freezers are more efficient when they’re full, so freeze what you can.
- Reuse glass jars to store nuts, rice, grains and flour to help keep them fresh. And store open packets of pasta in an airtight container.
- If you buy economy blocks of cheese, cut them into smaller blocks and freeze, or grate and freeze.
Read more about reducing the amount of waste you create.
Just over 50% of the average waste (garbage) bin is food and garden waste. Find out how you can help reduce your household’s food waste, plus Sustainability Victoria has more tips.
We also have a number of recycling drop off points in Yarra where you can recycle items not collected in your recycling bin. Read more about our drop off points.
How can I stay up to date?
We’ll be sharing lots of information about the changes – and one way you can stay up to date is through our Yarra Life email newsletter.
Sign up today.
If you have questions or queries, you can also call us on 9205 5555.