COVIDSafe Summer Restrictions are now in effect
Monday 07 December 2020
Yarra, along with the rest of metropolitan Melbourne, moved to COVIDSafe Summer restrictions from 11:59pm Sunday 6 December 2020.
The rundown on restrictions
COVIDSafe Summer restrictions will be in place until at least the end of January 2021. There a few significant changes to the way Victorians live and work.
Changes to how we live
- You can host up to 30 people in your home per day. Outdoor gatherings in public places have increased to 100.
- Some mask rules have changed. You should still carry a mask at all times. They remain mandatory on public transport, in rideshare vehicles and taxis, and in retail like indoor shopping centres, supermarkets, department stores and indoor markets.
- The cap for funerals and weddings has been removed, subject to a new density limit of one person per twosquare metres. If a ceremony is held in your own home, the limit of 30 people applies.
- The same new density limits apply for community facilities, including libraries, RSLs, and community halls.
- In gyms, the density limit is now one person per four square metres. Exercise classes are limited to 50 indoors and 100 outdoors.
- There can be up to 50 people on a dancefloor, with a density of one person per four square metres.
Changes to how we work
- Density limits in pubs, restaurants and cafes are now one person per two square metres for both indoors and outdoors, with no other cap.
- In hospitality, the use of electronic record keeping is mandatory.
- For small operations, there are no density limits if the patron number is under 25.
- Retail and beauty services can move to one person per two square metres, but only if they introduce electronic record keeping. For businesses where that is not possible, the existing density limits will continue to apply.
Returning to the workplace
From 11 January 2021, subject to further public health advice:
- Businesses in the private sector will be able to return 50% of their workplace to the office.
- The Victorian public service will be able to return up to 25% of workers to the office, moving to 50% on 8 February 2021.
For more details on these changes visit DHHS – Victoria's restriction levels.
What’s changing at Yarra?
We're currently working through what these changes mean for our services and programs. For more information please visit: