Nicholson Street Fitzroy closure
Friday 17 August 2018
Nicholson Street from Victoria Parade to Alexandra Parade will be closed from Saturday 1 September until Sunday 16 September 2018.
Public Transport Victoria and Yarra Trams are upgrading Route 96 tram stops.
Where are the works taking place?
Works will take place on Nicholson Street from Victoria Parade to Alexandra Parade.
When will the works take place?
Major works will begin on Saturday 1 September and will finish on Sunday 16 September.
What works are taking place?
- Track and overhead line renewal
- Breaking of concrete and excavation
- Decommissioning existing tram stops
- Construction of new accessible tram stops
- Laying of new tram tracks
- Construction of new pedestrian crossings and signals
How will the major works affect me?
Public transport users
Replacement buses will operate for part of tram routes 86 and 96.
Public transport users can follow live updates on the Public Transport Victoria website.
- Nicholson Street will be closed to vehicle traffic between Victoria Parade and Alexandra Parade.
- All side streets will be closed at Nicholson Street for the duration of the works, except Johnston Street which will only be closed from Saturday 8 September to Wednesday 12 September.
- Gertrude Street will be closed between Nicholson Street and Royal Lane (approx. 60m)
- There will be local access from Rose Street to Alexandra Parade/Princes Street.
- There will be no access to driveways and no through roads along Nicholson Street from Victoria Parade to Rose Street.
- It is recommended to park in side streets with access away from the work zone, noting local parking conditions.
PedestriansThere will be kerb-to-kerb fencing to ensure public safety, which will limit pedestrian crossings. Footpaths will remain open around the work area to allow pedestrian access to businesses and residences. Designated pedestrian crossing areas will be clearly sign posted.
View the bicycle diversions that will be in place.
The existing Hanover Street school crossing will be temporarily relocated to the intersection of Gertrude and Brunswick streets. This is to assist Mary Immaculate College students.
What about the noise and dust?Yarra Trams will work to keep noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work crews to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and 10pm, however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside these hours to ensure the works are completed by Sunday 16 September.
Will shops on Nicholson Street still be open?Access to shops and local services will remain unchanged during the works, however you should allow extra time when moving around the area.
Why are these works happening?There are now more than 420 accessible tram stops in Melbourne, built as part of an ongoing program to modernise the tram network. The Route 96 Tram Stop upgrades will deliver:
- Accessible tram stops with ramps to provide improved access and safety for customers, including people in wheelchairs, parents with prams and elderly people.
- Raised platforms and real-time tram arrival information for tram passengers.
- Improved lighting, bluestone and stainless steel finishes.