What home support services are there for older people?

Smiling couple in kitchen 

We provide a number of services to help older people who need extra support or who people have a disability to live independently in their own homes and the community.

As an Australian Government funded provider we comply with the Charter of Aged Care Rights which covers 14 fundamental protections.  In receiving services from us you have the right to expect high quality care and services and to be treated with respect and dignity. You can also read the Charter in your own language.

In November 2021 we invited a random selection of clients to participate in a satisfaction survey.  We sought feedback on services delivered by Yarra and its contracted providers Mercy Health and Valyarra, including Home Care, Personal Care, Respite Care, Home Maintenance and Social Support activities.

See the Survey Results

If you would like to know more about the Client Satisfaction Survey 2021 - call us on 9205 5285.


Home care

We can assist with household tasks like vacuuming, assistance with laundry, cleaning the bathroom and unescorted shopping.

Personal care

Personal care services can assist you with important daily care tasks.

We can help you with showering, dressing, personal hygiene and grooming.

Respite care

A home carer will come to your home to support you so that the person who takes care of you can have a break.

Home maintenance

We help make your home a safe environment by assisting with minor repairs and maintenance such as lawn mowing and changing smoke alarm batteries.

Home modifications

Following a referral from an Occupational Therapist we assist with the installation of ramps, handrails and other safety equipment.

Community transport

A community bus provides you with transport to Willowview Centre, organised activities, or shopping trips.

Social support

You can join in with our organised recreational activities, events and social support networks to keep you active and involved in community life.

Social support for individuals

We can take you shopping and escort you to medical appointments.

Food services

We deliver nutritious meals to your home. You can also come to one of our centres and enjoy a meal with other people in your area.

Willowview Centre

Come along to our Willowview Centre for the day to enjoy lunch and fun activities such as yoga, exercise sessions, card games, craft or cooking.

How do I access these services?

If you are not a current client of Yarra City Council you will need to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to register your details to arrange an assessment.

The assessor will then make an arrangement to assess you in your own home.

Need an interpreter?

If you need an interpreter you need to contact My Aged Care who can arrange an interpreter for you.

Is there a fee?

There is a fee charged for most of our Aged and Disability Services. However, the fee varies according to the type of services you receive and your income.