Register a food business

Under the Victorian Food Act, you must register or lodge a notification with us depending on the classification of your food premises.

Registrations and notifications tell us the location of all food premises in Yarra, so we can monitor and help food businesses comply with their obligations to handle and sell safe and suitable food and to prevent misleading conduct in connection with the sale of food.

Renewing your registration

To continue supporting business owners during COVID-19 restrictions, we will be waiving renewal fees for food premises registrations until 31 March 2021. An invoice for the remaining fees will then be sent on 16 March 2021.

It’s also very important that we have the most up to date email address and other contact details for your business.

Update your details here.

  • update your contact details (phone, email or postal address)
  • update your business details (trading name, ABN, type of premises, food safety supervisor or food safety program)
  • update your trading hours
  • have recently closed your business or transferred the business to a new owner.

When you receive your renewal notice, please double check your premises information is correct, including hours of operation and food safety information.


Food premises are classified according to the level of food safety risk and the type of food handled at the premises. We are responsible for classifying your food premises.

Class 1, 2 or 3 premises are high-risk. Class 4 food premises are low-risk and only need to lodge a “once off” notification for the premises.

Find out about the classification of food premises.

Fit out

Food premises need to be constructed and fitted out in compliance with food safety standards.

For guidance on structural requirements for food premises refer to the Food Premises and Equipment Guidelines

We are happy to provide feedback on the proposed fit-out of your food premises if requested.

Other requirements

  • Class 1 and 2 food premises need to have a Food Safety Program and a Food Safety Supervisor for their premises in order for registration to be approved.
  • It is also necessary for all staff handling food in a food business to have appropriate skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene that is appropriate for their work activities. You and your staff could complete a free food safety learning program, such as Do Food Safely

Temporary or mobile food premises

If you are planning to operate from a temporary or mobile food premises such as a food truck, market stall, community fundraiser, sausage sizzle or cake stall, you need to register or notify your premises using Streatrader.

Note: the same requirements apply to temporary and mobile food premises that apply to other food premises, although the way the requirements are complied with may be different.

Read more about operating a mobile food premises in Yarra.

Apply now

Complete a pre-application form to tell us about your proposed business. We'll get back to you and help you apply for the correct permits.


Fees for registration vary, depending on:

  • the class of food premises
  • whether the premises is run to raise funds for charitable purposes
  • the quarter of the year in which the application is made.

Food safety for community groups

The Victorian government has developed a free online resource to help community groups understand and meet their food safety obligations when selling food to raise funds.