Protecting our parks over summer

Thursday 07 October 2021

We are committed to ensuring our parks and open spaces continue to be a place for everyone in the community to enjoy.

Council has taken a number of steps to ensure the safe and respectful sharing of its public spaces, particularly over the warmer months.

We have reinstated our successful Park Ambassadors Program, with local laws officers visiting our major parks from this weekend.

The Park Ambassadors will be monitoring attendance, visitor behaviour, council assets including toilets and barbecues and providing information and support to park visitors.  

Council will also be providing additional portable toilets at Edinburgh Gardens, Barkly Gardens and Burnley Gardens and we have also installed additional bins at our major parks. We will have the rubbish collected regularly and restock the toilet supplies regularly.

Yarra Mayor Councillor Gabrielle de Vietri said the popularity of parks in Yarra had increased during Melbourne’s lockdowns and were expected to be a source of much enjoyment over the warmer months.

"We want everyone visiting our parks to have a wonderful experience and so we have taken steps to make sure that our parks continue to be a place for everyone to love, respect and enjoy,” Mayor de Vietri said.

Tips when visiting our parks:

• Take rubbish with you
• Avoid glass
• Wear a mask and remember to keep your distance.
• Respect the neighbours
• Don’t peg down marquees
• Use weights only
• Clean up after your dog, and keep on a leash unless you’re in a designated off-leash area
• Use the public toilets provided.

If you see inappropriate park behaviour such as public urination, crime or any breaches of the Chief Health Officer directions:

• Call Triple Zero (000) if it is an emergency for police, ambulance or fire
• Police Assistance Line: Call 131 444 to report non-urgent crimes and events 
• Anonymous report: Call Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 to anonymously report a crime

Contact Access Yarra to report a broken piece of park infrastructure, illegally parked cars, or if you identify a source of amplified music which is clearly audible in your private dwelling and want to make a noise complaint.


Search for news