New climate action grants stream
Got a great idea to take climate action in Yarra and help create a sustainable city? Through our Climate Action Stream of the 2021 Annual Grants we're keen to support community-led projects that focus on the following priorities:
- Mobilise the community to take climate action, including advocating for change
- Support the most vulnerable in our community to cope with climate impacts, such as extreme weather, energy and food insecurity
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Support local food systems
- Care for local natural environments
- Avoid waste and enable more conscious consumption
- Foster sustainable transport behaviours
- Build stronger social connections to increase resilience to future shocks and stresses
The new grants stream delivers on a commitment in our Climate Emergency Plan.
The 2021 Annual Grants round is now open and applications close on 29 November. Find out more about our Annual Grants process.
Who is eligible and what funding is available?
For all Council grants, an applicant must be a not-for-profit, incorporated community group or organisation (or meet the specific exemption requirements in the annual grants guidelines). The group or organisation must be applying to fund a project, service or activity that is of benefit to the Yarra community.
For the 2021 Annual Grants, the total pool of funding available for the Climate Action Stream is $80,000. There are two tiers of funding:
- Climate Action Grant – Tier 1 supports smaller projects that accelerate community-led climate action, focusing on the priorities listed above. The maximum grant amount is $5,000.
- Climate Action Grant – Tier 2 seeks to support more substantial community projects that accelerate community-led climate action focusing on the priorities listed above. The maximum grant amount is $10,000. In addition to the assessment criteria for all grant applications (in the annual grants guidelines), this tier of funding is seeking projects that focus on building partnerships, longer lasting change, greater reach and innovation.
Investing in Community Grants
If you have a major multi-year project that directly addresses the priorities above, you could consider the Investing in Community Grants 2021-2023 round. This is a competitive grant round providing three years of funding to not-for-profit organisations to run programs that serve the community and align with Council’s funding priorities.
The total pool of funding available is $280,000 per year over three years, and the maximum grant is $50,000 per annum. These grants open on 15 October and close on 29 November.
Find out more about our Investing in Community Grants process.
Small Project Grants
If you are planning a small project with a budget of up to $1,000 then a Small Project Grant is a great option. You can apply any time during the year , until the pool of funds run out.
Find out more about our Small Project Grants, including how to apply.
Examples of past grant projects
Read about community-led projects delivered in 2020 with financial support from Yarra grants.
Have a question?
If you have a question about the annual grants, you can ask us online, or call us on 03 9205 5170 or 03 9205 5146.