Climate action grants stream
Got a great idea to take climate action in Yarra and help create a sustainable city? Through our Climate Action Stream of Yarra's Annual Grants we're keen to support community-led projects that focus on the following priorities:
- Mobilise the community to take climate action, including advocating for change
- Support the most vulnerable in our community to cope with climate impacts, such as extreme weather, energy and food insecurity
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Support local food systems
- Care for local natural environments
- Avoid waste and enable more conscious consumption
- Foster sustainable transport behaviours
- Build stronger social connections to increase resilience to future shocks and stresses
The new grants stream delivers on a commitment in our Climate Emergency Plan.
Climate action grants for 2022
The 2022 Annual Grants round has closed and grant recipients have been announced. This year we’re pleased to be funding more climate action projects than ever before.
Find out about this year's grant funded projects.
Recipients of the 2021 climate action grants
The community-led initiatives funded through the climate action stream of Council's Annual Grants included creative projects to engage people around waste and climate issues, enhance cooking and food growing skills, and hands-on ecological restoration activities along our waterways. See the full list of 2021 Annual Grant recipients, including recipients of funds from the climate action grants stream.
The video above features one of the 2021 annual grant recipients, Melbourne Girls' College and their Pedal Powered Cinema event partnering with other schools and community organisations.
The video above features one of the 2021 annual grant recipients, Yarra Riverkeeper and their Revitalising Burnley Crofters project that included a community planting day to engage the community to take on-ground climate action to enhance our local environment.
The video above features one of the 2021 annual grant recipients, Cultivating Community and their Let's Keep Cooking project that engages young people to grow, cook and understand sustainable food systems.
Who is eligible and what funding is available?
For all Council grants, an applicant must be a not-for-profit, incorporated community group or organisation (or meet the specific exemption requirements in the annual grants guidelines). The group or organisation must be applying to fund a project, service or activity that is of benefit to the Yarra community.
There are two tiers of funding in the Climate Action Stream:
- Climate Action Grant – Tier 1 supports smaller projects that accelerate community-led climate action, focusing on the priorities listed above. The maximum grant amount is $5,000.
- Climate Action Grant – Tier 2 seeks to support more substantial community projects that accelerate community-led climate action focusing on the priorities listed above. The maximum grant amount is $10,000. In addition to the assessment criteria for all grant applications, this tier of funding is seeking projects that focus on building partnerships, longer lasting change, greater reach and innovation.
Small Project Grants
If you are planning a small project with a budget of up to $1,000 then a Small Project Grant is a great option. You can apply any time during the year, until the pool of funds run out. Applicants are usually advised of the outcome within a month.
Find out more about our Small Project Grants, including how to apply.
Examples of past grant projects
Read about past sustainability and climate action projects led by community members with financial support from Yarra's Annual Grants.
Have a question?
If you have a question about the annual grants, you can ask us online, or call us on 03 9205 5170 or 03 9205 5146.