If you operate commercial personal training or fitness activities on public land such as parks, you must have a licence.
Ensure you have read the Personal Training Policy before you submit your application.
How long is a personal training permit valid for?
- Personal training permits are issued annually and are valid from 1 January - 31 December each year.
- All permits expire on 31 December, regardless of when they are issued.
- 2021 personal trainer permits are valid from 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021.
How much does a personal training permit cost?
- The fee for the 2021 personal training permits will be $316.40.
- There is no pro rata system for permit fees.
What qualifications do I need to provide?
- Certificate of Currency/Insurance. The level for public liability must be at least $20 million. The level for professional indemnity must be at least $10 million.
- National Fitness Industry Registration (Fitness Australia or Physical Activity Australia only). Any other qualification delivered by a peak sporting body will be at Council’s discretion where the service provided falls outside fitness training or coaching.
- Level 2 First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Certificate
Where can I train?
- Yarra's Personal Trainer Permit Policy outlines which parks and gardens allow for commercial personal training.
What size groups can I train?
There are 3 different park categories. Each category has a separate limit of participants per trainer. Participant numbers must not exceed those specified for each park category:
- Category A – 6 people
- Category B – 15 people
- Category C – 20 people
What impact does COVID-19 have on my personal training permit?
- All personal trainers must adhere to DHHS Directions.
- DHHS Directions may limit the number of participants that can attend each session.
- DHHS Direction may impact how training is delivered.
What else should permit holders know?
- Approved personal trainers will receive an approval letter and a physical permit that must be carried with them during training sessions.
- Minimising impact on local amenity and compliance with permit terms is paramount at all times
- Non-compliance with Yarra's Personal Training Policy and Local Laws may result in a cancellation of your permit.
- Client consent has been obtained and participants are informed of the risks/benefits (as per usual consent processes)
- Risk management policy and procedures are up to date, accommodating changes to service environments and/or or risk profile.
- Amplified sound permits are obtained via firstname.lastname@example.org if required (small Bluetooth speakers are allowed in Yarra as background music).
- If sports club training/games is in session, use of the sports ground is not permitted.