To apply for a residential parking permit you need to:
- live in an eligible property within the City of Yarra.
- complete the Parking Permit Application Form
- provide proof of residency and proof of vehicle registration (and proof of concession if applicable).
- pay in person or by post (online payments for parking permits are not yet available).
Is my property eligible for parking permits?
Most properties in Yarra are eligible for on-street parking permits. Some households are entitled to up to 3 permits and some are only entitled to 2 permits.
- People who leased or bought a property before 1 January 2015 can have up to 3 permits.
- People who leased or bought a property after 1 January 2015 are entitled to up to 2 on-street parking permits in total, which can include one visitor parking permit
- If you live in a property that was built after 10 December 2003, and it increased the number of properties, you are not entitled to any parking permits. This also applies to buildings subdivided or developed after 2003.
- Multi-unit developments built before 2003 are generally only entitled to 2 parking permits.
We introduced these restrictions to encourage all new developments in Yarra to provide their own off-street parking in an effort to take some of the pressure off this limited resource.
Contact us before applying for a parking permit to make sure you are eligible and to find out how many permits you are entitled to.
What documents do I need to apply?
With your Parking Permit Application Form you must attach proof of residency and proof of vehicle registration. If you are entitled to a concession you must attach a copy of your current concession card.
What can I use as a proof of residency?
1. Current lease agreement. If your name is not on the lease we will accept the following:
- a copy of the lease and a witnessed statutory declaration from the lease holder stating that you are residing at the property and the date that you became a resident.
- a current rent receipt showing your name or
- a letter of tenancy signed by your landlord along with a copy of the landlords rates notice.
2. Contract of sale of the property
- The property must have been purchased within last 12 months.
3. Rates notice
- Parking permits are for residents. You must reside at the property in order to be eligible. The property and service address must be the same on the rates notice.
4. Utilities bill
- A gas, electricity, home phone or internet bill showing current residential address (property and service address must be the same)
5. Pension Card or Health Care Card or Department of Veteran Affairs Gold Card (TPI) or Department of Veteran Affairs War Widow (TPI)
- Concession card must be current and in the your name.
What can I use for my proof of vehicle registration?
- Vehicle Registration Certificate (must be in your name)
- a Statutory Declaration stating that you are the registered owner of the vehicle and it is housed at the address on the application.
- If the vehicle is not registered in your name we will accept a copy of the Vehicle Registration Certificate and a Statutory Declaration from the registered owner stating that you are the primary driver of the vehicle and it is housed at the address on the application.
We do not accept insurance paperwork as proof of registration.
What can I use for my proof of concession status?
- Pension Card or Health Care Card or Department of Veteran Affairs Gold Card (TPI) or Department of Veteran Affairs War Widow (TPI)
- all concession cards must be current and in the your name.
We also issue transitional parking permits to new residents to cover your car for 2 weeks when you first move into a property and don't have all your paperwork. Further information on transitional parking permits is available by calling 9205 5555
How much do parking permits cost?
- 1st permit $36
- 2nd permit $91
- 3rd permit $171
Prices are based on the number of parking permits you have at the property. It doesn't matter whether the permits are residential or visitor parking permits you will still be charged the same.
Permit fees are refundable if you move within the first six months of receiving the permit (calculated pro-rata).
I have a concession card. How much will my permits cost?
Holders of a Health Care Card, Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card or Pensioner, War Widow and TPI concession cards receive their first permit free of charge.
Second and third permits (if eligible) are charged at the first permit rate ($36).
How do I pay for my parking permit?
Payment can be in made in person or by cheque or money order and sent with the application by post.
- In person: Payment can be made by cash, eftpos or credit card. Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm at any of our Customer Service centres:
- Richmond Town Hall - 333 Bridge Rd Richmond
- Collingwood Town Hall - 140 Hoddle St Abbotsford 3067
- Connie Benn Centre - 160 Brunswick St Fitzroy 3065
- By post: Payment can be made by personal cheque, bank cheque or money order made payable to 'Yarra City Council' and sent to:
- Parking Administration,
Yarra City Council
PO Box 168 Richmond, Victoria, 3121.
- Parking Administration,
- Please note: online payments for parking permits are not yet available.
If you have any further enquiries please call us on 9205 5555 or complete a customer request form.