Permanent vehicle crossing - permit requirements

What is a vehicle crossing or crossover?

A vehicle crossing is the portion of driveway between the property boundary and the road, including the footpath, kerb, and nature strip.

Although a vehicle crossing extends across Council property, it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure this is properly constructed to council’s standards. 

The property owner is responsible for the construction, maintenance, and cost of a vehicle crossover.

Diagram of vehicle crossing boundaries

Damaged or unsafe vehicle crossings 

If a vehicle crossing at your property is damaged or unsafe, you will be asked to repair it. By law, vehicle crossings must be maintained to ensure that everyone can walk across them safely. The cost of any maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner. 

Vehicle scraping, steep driveways and maintenance 

If you have an issue with vehicle scraping because of a steep or angled driveway, then you will need to engage a professional to address the problem. Any work that you do to your vehicle crossing will require a permit to ensure that works are carried out to Council’s engineering standards.

When do I need a permit?

You will need a permit for any work that is required on a vehicle crossing. For more information about how a vehicle crossing should be constructed and design considerations, refer to the Vehicle Crossover Information Sheet November 2023 (1). The vehicle crossing must be constructed in accordance with the requirements in the Vehicle Crossover Information Sheet, Council standard drawings and to the satisfaction of our officers. 

Do I need any other Permits or Approvals?

  •  If your vehicle crossing is on a major road, you’ll need to contact the Department of Transport (D.O.T.). To check if your vehicle crossing is on a major road, view D.O.T. Declared Roads Map
  • If you want to do work that involves a vehicle crossing in a heritage overlay area, you will need aplanning permit.
  • If the proposed Vehicle Crossing is within a Tree Protection Zone (T.P.Z. Calculator) , your application will be referred to Council's Arborist for their approval and you will be liable for costs for replacement and removal of any street trees.
  • Should you need to remove and relocate any council assets for the installation of the permanent vehicle crossing you will need to advise and indicate these on your site plan and attach with your online application.  Council assets can include: parking signs, street trees, street furniture.  Please note a referral will be required to the relevant internal department to review and approve the removal and if approved additional fees may be incurred.  Indicate any affected council assets on your site plan.
  • If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. Refer to our Road Closure Notification Template (DOC 389kB) which you can complete and attach with your online application. All stakeholders within 100m must be notified. 

How do I apply?

1. Read our Vehicle Crossover Information Sheet November 2023 (1) and Vehicle Crossover Design Requirements Sheet November 2023

This will help you prepare your 1:20 scaled cross sectional drawing of the proposed vehicle crossing that is required to be submitted as part your online application and to understand how a vehicle crossing must be constructed in accordance with our standard drawings and to the satisfaction of our officers.


 In your online application you will be required to provide the following mandatory documentation:

  • Certificate of Currency showing in minimum of $10 million public liability insurance
  • Traffic Management Plan as per requirements
  • Site Plan of proposed vehicle crossover that should include:

-Dimensions/width of crossover and splays

-Existing utilities in proximity

-Existing trees in proximity

-Existing drainage/road infrastructure in proximity

  • Detailed 1:20 Scaled Cross Sectional plan of proposed vehicle crossing:

- Incorporating existing/pre-construction and proposed levels

- Must include all information as per VC Information Sheet

  • Pre-construction site survey provided for comparison with existing levels
  • Photos of the existing crossover/site conditions vs of the “as built” garage floor level
  • Aftercare Plan (required where the vehicle crossover will take multiple days to install or concrete curing overnight)
  • Other Authority approvals 

After you submit the application, you will receive an automatic notification with an application number which must be used for all future correspondence. 

No works can begin, including excavation, boxing, and reinforcement, until a permit has been issued and all conditions have been met. If any works begin before a Permit is issued enforcement action will be taken, which can include issuing notices, suspending works, fines, the possibility of court proceedings and may result in removal of the crossing.

3. Pre Works-Inspection

Once your application is assessed, a Council officer will conduct a pre works inspection to discuss the proposal on site. We may request additional information.

4. Permit Issued

If the application is approved, we will send you an invoice. When the invoice is paid, a permit will be issued with conditions.

If your application is declined, you will be notified.

5. Pre-pour Inspection

A pre-pour inspection can occur a minimum of 24 business hours after the permit has been issued.  A Council officer will inspect compliance with Council standards and permit conditions.

6. Post-pour Inspection

A Council officer will inspect the completed works for:

  • Compliance with Council’s standards and Permit conditions
  • Reinstatement of the road reserve to the original condition
  • Any damage to Council assets within the road reserve
  • Any public safety issues created by the works

If any issues are identified at the post-pour inspection, we will make contact with the responsible person, and you will be charged an additional inspection fee if the permit is required to be extended. If no issues are identified, there will be no further contact.

How long will my application take to process?

Initial assessment of your application can take up to 7 working days.  When all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory, your permit will be issued within 10 business days.   

Should you receive a request for further information, if the information requested is not received within four months the application will be closed down and you will be required to apply for a new permit. 

Should an invoice not be paid within three months of issuing, the application will be closed down and you will be required to apply for a new permit.

How can I request an update of my permit application?

You can request an update of your permit application using an online enquiry. A permits officer will respond to your request.

Please note initial assessment of your application can take up to 7 working days.

How much does it cost?

  • Permit Fee
    Works to existing single residential properties/local shop traders (small business) - $166.40
    Commercial/Industrial properties or new build residential - $295.90
  • Inspection Fees (2 inspections required)
    Works to existing single residential properties/local shop traders (small business)- $166.40
    Commercial/Industrial properties or new build residential- $295.90

An additional inspection fee will be charged should there be any issues identified in the inspections, resulting in the need to extend the permit.