Growing food at home can be anything from a windowsill herb planter to a full scale productive food garden with fruit trees, veggies and even chickens or bees!
We run workshops on topics such as; small space gardening, beekeeping, composting, keeping chickens and more!
Learn more at one of our workshops
We run free online workshops via the My Smart Garden throughout the year on a variety of topics including:
- Small space gardening
- Organic gardening
- Keeping chickens
If there is a topic that you would particularly like to learn about, contact us via an online request or call 03 9205 5555 and request to speak with one of our Urban Agriculture team about your ideas.
Find out more about growing food at home
- Sustainable Gardening Australia for seasonal gardening tips
- Gardenate for information on what to grow when
- Gardening Australia for gardening factsheets
- Grow it local to share your harvest
Compost bins and worm farms
Compost bins and worm farms are great ways to help your garden flourish, while also reducing the amount of food scraps and garden waste sent to landfill. We have a range of compost bins and worm farms available at reduced rates for residents.
Check out Sharewaste if you need more food scraps or you don’t have space for a compost bin or worm farm at home. They can help you:
- Find someone in Yarra who can accept and compost your food scraps.
- Add yourself as a host. Help compost for others to divert their food waste from landfill.