Growing food at home can be anything from a windowsill herb planter to a full scale productive food garden with fruit trees, veggies and even chickens or bees!
Even small spaces such as balconies and courtyards can be productive - visit Sustainable Gardening Australia for inspiration.
Learn more at one of our workshops
We run a variety of workshops throughout the year on topics such as:
- Small space gardening
- Organic gardening
- Keeping chickens
Keep an eye on our What's On Calendar page to find out when these workshops are running.
You can also sign-up to Yarra’s Environment e-news to stay informed about these and other sustainability-related events and programs.
If there is a topic that you would particularly like to learn about, let us know and we will try to include it in the program.
Find out more about growing food at home
- Sustainable Gardening Australia for seasonal gardening tips
- Gardenate for information on what to grow when
- Gardening Australia for gardening factsheets
- Grow it local to share your harvest
Compost bins and worm farms
Compost bins and worm farms are great ways to help your garden flourish, while also reducing the amount of food scraps and garden waste sent to landfill. We have a range of compost bins and worm farms available at reduced rates for residents.
Check out Sharewaste if you need more food scraps or you don’t have space for a compost bin or worm farm at home. They can help you:
- Find someone in Yarra who can accept and compost your food scraps.
- Add yourself as a host. Help compost for others to divert their food waste from landfill.