A strategy for a multicultural Yarra
Monday 18 September 2023
We're lucky to have such a diverse and vibrant multicultural community here in Yarra.
We all have a role to play in making sure everyone feels included and valued, regardless of their background. In the past, Council’s role has been outlined in our Multicultural Partnerships Plan.
The Multicultural Partnerships Plan ensures we’re providing services that are as accessible and culturally relevant as possible. The plan also provides guidance for our staff when they work with our diverse community and supports the inclusion of culturally and linguistically diverse residents in Council processes.
Key outcomes of the Multicultural Partnerships Plan 2019-2023 include:
- Ongoing outreach and relationship-building with our diverse community, particularly through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Launching our Bicultural Liaison Officers program to support Council and local organisations to engage with multiculturally diverse residents and communities more effectively.
- Ongoing collaboration with the Yarra Multicultural Advisory Group to ensure diverse voices are included in Council decision-making.
- Managing the Yarra Multicultural Services Network (YMSN), a network of agencies in Yarra who provide services for refugees, asylum seekers and newly arrived migrants.
As the current plan expires this year, we’re planning to replace the four-year Multicultural Partnerships Plan with a long-term guiding strategy defining Council’s role in how we support our diverse community.
Tell us what you think!
Now is your chance to tell us how you would like us to support our multicultural community moving forward. Have your say before this consultation closes at 9am on Monday 30 October.
You can provide feedback the following ways:
- Completing the survey on Your Say Yarra.
- Emailing [email protected] and speaking directly with one of our Equity and Community Development Team Members
- Attending one of our pop-up information sessions taking place:
- Saturday 14 October from 10am to 12 midday at Linear Park Reserve, Princes Hill.
- Tuesday 17 October from 3pm to 5pm at Belgium Avenue Neighbourhood House, Richmond.
Please contact us by calling 03 9280 1940 if you need to speak to an interpreter and get information about this project in your language.