Wear It Purple Day 2023: Advocating for inclusivity and equality across Yarra’s rainbow communities
Friday 25 August 2023
Yarra City Council stands behind its vibrant and diverse LGBTIQA+ community for Wear It Purple Day.
Each year, communities across Australia come together to foster supportive, safe, empowering and inclusive environments for rainbow young people on Wear It Purple day.
Guided by its LGBTIQA+ Strategy 2021-24, Council is committed to making Yarra a place where people of all gender identities and sexual orientations are welcome, celebrated and able to thrive.
Since adopting this strategy City of Yarra has taken a number of actions to support LGBTIQA+ young people in the community:
- Launching Rainbow Yarra – a comprehensive online platform for accessing LGBTIQA+ information and resources within Yarra, including strategies, campaigns, details about the Rainbow Advisory Committee, community events, venues, retail, and services.
- Creating a series of videos giving voice to community members and their experience of working, living and playing in Yarra as queer people.
- Actively seeking diverse representation on Yarra’s Rainbow Advisory Committee and ensuring that young people have a voice.
- Launching the Queerways Walking Tour project, giving the community an opportunity learn more about Yarra’s rich LGBTIQA+ history.
- Hearing from almost 200 people on historically significant sites for LGBTIQA+ communities so we can better understand, protect and celebrate Yarra’s LGBTIQA+ heritage.
Yarra Mayor, Claudia Nguyen, said it’s vital that Yarra’s rainbow community feels valued, safe and empowered to be themselves.
“Yarra strives to be at the forefront of better protecting the rights and uplifting the lives of LGBTIQA+ people who live, work and visit the municipality.”
“We're committed to ensuring everyone in our community is welcomed, engaged and included irrespective of age, sexual orientation or gender identity.”
Visit Rainbow Yarra to learn more about how Yarra is celebrating diversity and promoting LGBTIQA+ inclusivity.